1990 Aerostar - No Start - Poor Spark

Gentlemen:

I've got a 90' Aerostar that simply died one day. It still turns over but will not start (fuel pump sounds fine). I pulled one of the plug wires and the spark is very weak. What would be the likely suspect? Distributor? Ignition coil? Other ignition? Plug wires? Can anyone suggest a method of approaching this problem?

Thanks,

Jack.

Reply to
Jack M. King

Still could be battery, distributer, plugs, plug wires, lack of fuel, and coil. Weak spark sounds like you ought to check the coil further. _____________

Tippy

Reply to
tippy

First go to your local auto parts store and get a spark tester. They are cheap and it looks like a spark plug with a alligator clip and one cery big plug gap. This tester makes your coil max out so when you tup it on the coil wire or any plug wire for that matter if you get a spark all is good to go there. If you dont get a spark or it is weak or intermittent with the tester start working backwards from there. Could be wire, cap rotor or coil. If there is a coil wire check this first, high resistance can be the culprit.

Reply to
fredzo

just a hunch, but i had a simmilar problem with a '91, the distributor wire was corroded where it connects to the coil was fine at the cap, but corroded inside the boot at the coil.. check that.. Mike

Reply to
HAUSWULVEN