1990 F150 4x4 front suspension rebuild time.. Help?

Well, I just passed 100K on my 1990 F150 4x4. The front end is getting sloppy and is starting to develop some clunking and some of the ball-joint boots are torn, so I suppose it's time to overhaul the suspension components and steering stuff.

How involved is replacing tie-rod ends and ball joints on the 1990 4x4 IFS? I will be getting new springs as it's starting to sag alot. Is there a kit available from somewhere that has all the needed bushings for reasonable? Is this something that I could tackle? I have replaced engines and trannys and rebuilt a few engines, but suspension work has me leery. Do I need any special tools other than air impact, chisel, pry bar, 6 pack and a few evenings in the garage? I have a nice 6' deep pit in the garage so I won't have to lay on the ground at least.

Any tips and tricks? Anything else I should replace while I am "in there"? I have a quote from the local tire shop of around $700 and they will replace springs, bushings, all ends, ball joints and u-joints and align. If most of that is labor, I will do it myself.

TIA!

-Dave

Reply to
DjE

You will need to replace the radius arm bushings too.

You can get factory springs at NAPA.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I did this same thing on the BBPOS (Big Blue Piece of S**t) '95 Suburban I had. Wasn't too bad. I did have to go buy two pickle forks to separate ball joints, but other than that, I had everything I needed to get it done. Took me an entire weekend (and more than one temper tantrum. hehehe) to get it back on it's wheels..

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

||Well, I just passed 100K on my 1990 F150 4x4. The front end is getting ||sloppy and is starting to develop some clunking and some of the ball-joint ||boots are torn, so I suppose it's time to overhaul the suspension components ||and steering stuff. || ||How involved is replacing tie-rod ends and ball joints on the 1990 4x4 IFS? ||I will be getting new springs as it's starting to sag alot. Is there a kit ||available from somewhere that has all the needed bushings for reasonable? ||Is this something that I could tackle? I have replaced engines and trannys ||and rebuilt a few engines, but suspension work has me leery. Do I need any ||special tools other than air impact, chisel, pry bar, 6 pack and a few ||evenings in the garage? I have a nice 6' deep pit in the garage so I won't ||have to lay on the ground at least. || ||Any tips and tricks? Anything else I should replace while I am "in there"? ||I have a quote from the local tire shop of around $700 and they will replace ||springs, bushings, all ends, ball joints and u-joints and align. If most of ||that is labor, I will do it myself.

You may need a spring compressor, depending on the design. Some springs will unload fine when you disconnect the shocks and then unload the chassis as you jack it up. If you do need a spring comressor, buy or rent a good one. You will need something to press the busings in and out. A small press is ideal.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B