1990 F150 Ignition key removal question.

Whats the procedure to remove my broken ignition key tumbler on my 1990 F-150? Do I need to remove the steering column and disassemble everything? Or is there an easier way? It's getting to the point where you really need to twist the key really hard to get it to turn over. Now the ignition key won't come out unless you twist and mess with the tumbler. $12.00 will fix it right up with a new tumbler but I don't know how to remove the old one.

TIA!

-Dave

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't have my 91 F150 any longer or I'd go out and look, but...

If I remember correctly, you need to turn the key to "ON" then there is a small hole where you depress a spring loaded retaining pin, pull tumbler out.

Another Dave

Reply to
DJ

I see the hole on the bottom/side of the column. I tried sticking a long allen wrench in there and fiddling around. I will try again.

Thanks!

-Dave again

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Ok! I got the tumbler removed via the little silver button on the forward edge of the column. BUT, while using a screwdriver to turn the assembly, it still behaves like it did with the tumbler-:

The gear selector still is "locked" and won't shift out of PARK. Even with the "key" turned all the way on to "RUN". START doesn't exist anymore via the "key". All the way clockwise "START" is only "RUN". Gear selector WON'T unlock no matter what. Does this model year (1990) have the electronic selector lockout on the brake pedal? Maybe I pulled a wire loose today messing with it.

Now what oh knowlegable FORD truck people? I assume there is some linkage in there (my Haynes manual is lacking good diagrams) that is messed up. Anyone ever tangle with this before on an F150? It appears that the positions on the key are off by one and the gear selector won't unlock.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as the kids want to go boating tomorrow as its gonna be in the 90s and I really hate to drive the wifes Blazer. :)

TIA!

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My symptoms were a bit different but I'll relate my experience in case it helps. If it's the same problem you're gonna be driving the Blazer tommorow.

Disclaimer: this was on a 91 F150 w/5 speed manual and tilt column, YMMV if you don't have the tilt. I can't say what the difference may be with a auto tranny.

The "key switch" in the steering column operates a long shaft that moves a selector on the "electrical switch" which is mounted to the side of the column, under the dash. Mine broke where the linkage from the key switch connects to the shaft. I had to disassemble the upper portion of the steering column to access the linkage.

I couldn't figure out how to get the column apart so I ended up removing the whole thing, thinking that was the way. I got the broken part out, but only because it was broken and no longer attached. I took the new part home and couldn't figure how to install it. The secret was that the yoke of the tilt mechanism was held in the column by two tiny ( I think it was two) allen head setscrews, Once I took them out, it was fairly simple to disassemble the head of the column and install the new acutuator. The replacement part is cheap, considering how much of PITA it was to install. Now that I know how, I could do it pretty easily...

I managed to find the invoice and part # for it (sometimes it pays to be anal retentive, it's a two yr old invoice on a truck I sold a year ago).

I plugged the part number into:

E9TZ3E715B $9.90 $8.32 Steering column - Housing and components - Actuator Actuator 1987 - 1991

Have fun at the lake, I'm going dirt biking in the mountains...

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Thanks! It IS this little actuator linkage thingy. It connects the pinion part of the tumbler to the gear shifter detent/lock then to the ignition "box" via a thin linkage. It's made of aluminum/pot metal and has a long shaft that goes thru to the shifter. My F150 does/did had tilt but I never knew it as there was no extra knob as the tilt was on the blinker arm. heh. Anyways, I will look for the allen screws. Otherewise it appears that the main steering shaft is pressed together at the joint.

-Dave

Reply to
invalid unparseable