1995 300 with fried ignition, conversion time ? and how?

hello , I am looking [working on ] at a F150 with a 4.9 300c.i. that had the battery hooked up BACKWARDS ! [ yes , the truck can be bought cheap]. I am new to ford's ignition systems and bought a manual. the current owner got the truck running well for a few weeks and it died . The coil and distributor mounted ICM has since been replaced but there is still no fire from the coil . There is power to the coil and the new coil checks fine. I'm tracing wires for short's/burn's but nothing yet ,all are so far showing to be fine. Anyone have any idea how far this reverse polarity could go through the ignition system ? I'm thinking it may have fried the distributor and possibly the cpu also. [ any ignition/ control unit conversion's out there for this engine ? back to stock would be fine though] Any help will be appreciated . david

Reply to
davidc

. .

You need to get a wiring diagram and check the computer pinouts AND wiring harness.... from under the hood all the way to inside the cab.

hope it was really cheap.

MarshMonster ~:~ . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

1995 300 with fried ignition, conversion time ? and how? Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Mon, Jul 5, 2004, 8:28pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.bellsouth.net (davidc) hello , I am looking [working on ] at a F150 with a 4.9 300c.i. that had the battery hooked up BACKWARDS ! [ yes , the truck can be bought cheap]. I am new to ford's ignition systems and bought a manual. the current owner got the truck running well for a few weeks and it died . The coil and distributor mounted ICM has since been replaced but there is still no fire from the coil . There is power to the coil and the new coil checks fine. I'm tracing wires for short's/burn's but nothing yet ,all are so far showing to be fine. Anyone have any idea how far this reverse polarity could go through the ignition system ? I'm thinking it may have fried the distributor and possibly the cpu also. [ any ignition/ control unit conversion's out there for this engine ? back to stock would be fine though]

Any help will be appreciated . =A0david

Reply to
Marsh Monster

i can not help you with your problem, but you placed "[ yes , the truck can be bought cheap]." what are you looking for???

i ask cuz my engine needs rebuilding, needs replacement of radiator, transmisson cooler & transmisson.

however mine is a '91 & the transmisson is the E4OD (automatic) but may not matter if your transmission is different.

joel in jacksonville FL. snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

[...]

joel