1995 Ford Ranger 4-wheel drive hub problem. Or is it something else?

I am considering the purchase of a neighbor's 1995 Ford Ranger XL 4WD. He has disclosed to me that there is a problem when you try to use the control inside the cab to shift from 2 to 4 wheel drive, high or low. He doesn't know what the problem is, only that it doesn't work right. He has apparently been told that it is not a big deal to fix.

My questions are: What is this problem, most likely? I've been reading that the automatic hubs are problematic. Is that what it is, or is there something more than that that often goes wrong?

I've read about converting the automatic hubs to manual hubs. How much does that cost for parts and how much time is required on the labor side?

The control inside the cab is three-way: 2-wheel high, 4-wheel high, and 4-wheel low. I'm assuming that turning the manual hubs must engage or disengage something. That seems to mean that the cabin control must still perform some other function, even with manual hubs (since turning the hub would seem to be a 2-option device, yet the cabin control is 3-option device). I hate to be ignorant here, but could someone explain what the cabin control does when it is working properly, what turning the manual hubs actually does, and what the function (if any) is of the cabin control when using manual hubs?

Thanks in advance for your input, and Happy Thanksgiving.

David Jensen snipped-for-privacy@xxAssociates.net Please replace the xx above with "mj" to reply

Reply to
David Jensen

Converting over to the manual hubs is no big deal, they just basically bolt on. The hubs is what locks in your front axle, and the switch inside shifts the transfer case to 4X4. If you do not lock in the hubs when you put it in

4X4 mode, you will not have 4X4 to the front wheels. This is probably the problem with the automatic hubs, they are not locking in. I would also convert over to the manual hubs. Not sure at cost, I think around $100.00 to $150.00.
Reply to
Kev5150