1996 F350 - bad fuel pump?

1996 F350, gas engine - Runs great on the rear tank, but it will not start or run on the front tank.

I'm assuming this is uses an in-tank pump, one in each tanks, and the dash switch sends power to the selected pump (as opposed to a valve). Anyone know how this system is laid out - Duel pumps, switching valve, or both?

Anything else that could cause this? I searched the archives but did not see this addressed for this late a model. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

A pump in each tank. No valve. You'll have to have 1/2 tank or less, drop the drive shaft, then let the front strap loose. If it's fuller than that, then siphon it off and put it in the rear. Then loosen the rear strap and let the front of the tank drop. THEN you can get to the lock ring and remove the pump / sender assembly without taking the tank out of the truck. NOW the back tank is a different story. Consider yourself lucky its the front..

Reply to
Steve Barker

||A pump in each tank. No valve. You'll have to have 1/2 tank or less, drop ||the drive shaft, then let the front strap loose. If it's fuller than that, ||then siphon it off and put it in the rear. Then loosen the rear strap and ||let the front of the tank drop. THEN you can get to the lock ring and ||remove the pump / sender assembly without taking the tank out of the truck. ||NOW the back tank is a different story. Consider yourself lucky its the ||front..

Steve Much Thanks, just what I needed.

Rex

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Earlier trucks had a valve that was switched by fuel pressure. It was a large plastic affair. If the newer trucks don't have a valve how does the return fuel find its way back to the tank it came from? My 87 had a problem with the valve that allowed fuel from one take to end up in the other. There was a recall on this problem.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Followup question: Any special tools requried? For example, do the hoses use the newer connectors which require the lock-ring tool?

I got the fuel pump today. Strange-looking thing, encased in white plastic.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I just noticed this pump cost me $111.00 plus tax. Does that sound about right? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

That's cheap. I've been paying about 150. Where'd ya get it?

Reply to
Steve Barker

I work for a distributor, but I still have to check prices. Especially on fuel pumps. Some major differences between brands the last 12 months.

||> I just noticed this pump cost me $111.00 plus tax. ||> Does that sound about right? ||> Rex in Fort Worth || ||

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

According to

it does. (I didn't look up yoursbut I did look up the one for my BII a few months ago) One nicefeature of autozone's web site is their online parts catalog with prices.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

||On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 20:54:50 GMT, Rex B wrote: || ||> I just noticed this pump cost me $111.00 plus tax. ||> Does that sound about right? || ||According to

it does. (I didn't look up yours||but I did look up the one for my BII a few months ago) One nice||feature of autozone's web site is their online parts catalog with prices. Good point. I figured I was under AZ and O'Reilly, so I didn't even look there. Every once in a while the OE dealer will have a part priced way under the aftermarket, and that's what I wanted to check. Thanks Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B