1997 2.3 L Ford Ranger stalling and rogh idling

This occurs when the truck has been sitting like overnight or after work. It happens frequently but not all the time. Once the truck has reached operating temperature it stops idling rough and if it stalls it will only do it at first when starting. If I increase the engine speed it seems to help until it slows down. The battery guage drops and goes back to its original level while this is occuring. The battery gauge will also drop briefly when the defroster comes on. The stick shift vibrates when it is idling rough.

I've had a tune up with plugs and wires replaced. Compelete fuel system cleaning. Fuel filter checked and they said it was okay. Alternator checked out fine (I did this today when a friend said that might be casuing it).

Any suggestions? It has about 115,000 miles on it and other than this runs fine and I've had very few things go wrong with it since I bought it new. Its been doiing this for a while.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Neil Sweetman

The reason the battery gauge is dropping is because the engine isn't turning the alternator fast enough to make sufficient output.

As to the cause of the problem, I'd highly suspect the IAC valve. You might get by with cleaning it instead of having to replace it.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Check your vacuum hoses. I had two hoses with cracks on the back side. After replacing the hoses the truck ran much better and the check engine light does not come on. Still have to hook up the code reader and see if things register porperly.

Reply to
Clay

Forgot to mention this was for a 1994 with a 4.0 engine.

Reply to
Clay