1997 F150 O2 sensor question?

i have a 1997 F150 with a 2001 4.2 engine, with 30,000 miles on it. I got some bad gas, a week ago and my service engie light came on, I removed the battery cable, and the light reset, but about 20 miles later it came back on, a guy at work said he bet the o2 sensor had went bad, can you tell me where it is on the truck? and how hard is it to replace? thanks for any help

Reply to
BIG ROD

thereismorethanoneoxygensensorsinceitisanOBD-IIengine HTHMark

Reply to
Mark Olson

BIGROD, You will have 4 O2 sensors in your truck. There are 2 upstream (before Cats)and 2 down stream (after cats). It may help to know what code it spit out for the sensor as it will tell you which bank and sensor you need. The 2 before that cats are most important and the 2 after pretty much just monitor to make sure the cats are working.

They run about 40-50 dollars each for Bosch replacements and are fairly easy to remove, unless they are rusted in. Makes it easier to install with the specialized socket for them but not necessary. The Bosch replacements seem to come with a little ant-seize on the threads but you may want to ad a little more

Reply to
FordStyle

I could tell you but why would you want to replace anything without first finding out if it's really the problem. Go to a Checker or Auto Zone and have the codes read.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

how the HELL does "a guy at work" know anythin about it??

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:47:05 -0500, Mark Olson rearranged some electrons to form:

HeyMarkeverhearofthespacebar?

Reply to
David M