1998 F-150 EGR Pipe Cracked

My EGR pipe is rusted and has a hole in it. I can hear the engine exhaust when the engine is under load.

The dealer quoted me $1,600 to replace it. I'm not kidding. He said he's worried that the bolts are rusted and may break off when trying to remove the nuts.

  1. Is this accessible enough that I could attempt to replace it myself?
  2. What do you think of simple wrapping heat resistant tape around the hole?

Thanks!!!

AABob

Reply to
AABob

best way to find out is to pop the hood and look at it.

It'll work... for about 10 minutes.

now if it's just stainless steel tubing, you might see if you have a really talented welder buddy and let him have a look at it...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:15:24 -0700, AABob rearranged some electrons to say:

Same thing happened to me when I had to replace my EGR valve. It cracked right at the nut that secures it to the exhaust pipe. It was a small hole so I patched it with high-temp muffler cement. Problem solved. No need to spend a lot of money on a 12 year old truck with 170k miles on it.

Reply to
david

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

If it is before the check valve you need to replace the pipe if its after the valve, the valve is bad and needs to be replaced. there should be no ex after the check valve. KB

Reply to
Kevin

Can you please clarify? Where is the check valve located?

Reply to
AABob

he said EGR not AIR

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

If we are still talking about that 87 then there is no egr "pipe". It is all internal. I beleive he is talking about the air inject piping. common to have them rust out when the check valve goes bad. KB

Reply to
Kevin

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 21:43:27 +0000, Kevin rearranged some electrons to say:

OP said it was a 98 F150.

Reply to
david