1998 F150 Spark Plug Wires - Help

My old spark plugs need to be replaced. I figured I save a few bucks by doing it myself. I pulled on the rubber spark plug cap, but it won't budge. It seems to be sealed tight against the engine block. It also seems rather soft - is there really a spark plug in there? Is there some trick to this?

Thanks!

Reply to
AA Bob

Pull hard. Takes about an hour to change the pluges and wires you can get a tool to pull the wires, but you really dont need it.

Reply to
Rob

Twist 'em first...then pull on the boot, not the wire.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

Let me ask a really stupid question. You see, I nearly skipped a whole generation of ford trucks. I went from a 93 with a straight 6 to an 03 with a 5.4L. My 5.4L does not have spark plug wires as such. It has coil packs on each plug. In what year did this begin?

After looking at what it will take to change the plugs in the 5.4L, I am going to really miss that straight 6.

Thanks

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Thank you!

Reply to
AA Bob

In a nutshell, pull harder! Don't grab the wire, pull on the rubber boot covering the spark plug. Perhaps a little twist will help. They're kinda like little suction cups, easy to get on, can be rough pulling them off. I sometimes wiggle to the left/right when pulling.

Reply to
Brent Olson

I went out to my truck to look at mine, but I can't find any on my PSD.

Reply to
Sudoxe