1998 Ranger U-Joints

I'm getting a sound from my front end that sounds as if I'm running snow tires with agressive treads, I suspect u-joints. Could be a wheel bearing too I guess. it seems to quiet down as I turn to the left.

Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the u-joints in this truck? It's 4WD with the original joints in place.

Thanks for nay input,

WD

Reply to
Willy Doer

I had a humming noise which I thought was front wheel bearings (2002 Ranger

Reply to
Mark Schofield

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure in my case it's a bearing, which means I have to replace the entire hub unit as Ford has made these unserviceable. After I sent the original post I discovered that I have CV joints and not U-Joints.

The only question left is, is it the left or the right that needs replacing? The noise goes away as I turn to the left only and comes back as I straighten out. This makes me think the load is being taken off the left side and therefore is that side that needs replacing.

Looks like an aftermarket part will be $212.00. I wonder what kind of job it's gonan be to replace that..

WD

Reply to
Willy Doer