1999 F150 brake pressure switch (cruise control)

In an effort to avoid the dealership (mostly b/c my truck has been grounded for the next month while saving up for ball joint and shock repairs) I would like to perform step one of the recall myself until the official parts come in for the Ford Cruise Control Recall Fix. After quite a bit of research I disconnected the brake pressure switch located in front of the the Brake Master Cylinder Reservior. Was this the correct location?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

ps: any advice regarding this will be taken as a comment in passing and it is understood to be neither fact nor instruction on the part of the advisor. So don't worry I won't regard responses as gospel for anyone sketchy about posting to this DIY question.--Thanks!

Reply to
ryanmleach

Yes, that is the place. That switch is what disengages the cc when the brake pedal is pushed. I'm wondering if that switch being disconnected will also defeat the cc from becoming enabled.....seems to me it should, but I don't know that for sure. I don't think I'd want to be toolin' around in cruise without that 'immediate' disengagement feature active. The last info I read about that switch recall was there is an adaptor for the switch to plug into and the adaptor plugs into the mc......If that is the case, it would be nice if the Ford guy would just hand one to you and you could DIY. I doubt that will happen though due to Ford lialibility procedures. IOW, Ford has to do the job in order to absolve them of further liability concerning that repair.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

You are right about that being the proper plug to disconnect (and wrap) to disable the cruise and that the cruise will be unavailable while this plug is disconnected. That switch is not the primary way to disengage the cruise though. That switch is the backup disengagement switch. If the primary switch associated with the brake pedal does not work for some reason then the switch on the master cylinder will disengage the cruise when the pressure exceeds a certain amount. I don't recall off the top of my head what that pressure is but for some reason 220 psi rings a bell but then again that number might be for something else I'm thinking of. When I stopped in at my dealer to see about having them order the adapter to fix mine the service manager said I needed to have them disable mine. I said that I would save them the trouble by unplugging it and wrapping it myself. He seemed to be upset that wouldn't be able to bill Ford for that. Oh well for them ;-)

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Reply to
R Plus, Inc.

Just to make sure we are talking apples and apples, the switch was repaired earlier. They are now installing an inline fuse for the switch.

Clark

R Plus, > I also have a 1999 F-150.........

Reply to
Clark

Reply to
Ron Crismond