1999 F150 purchase questions

I've never owned a Ford truck and have a few questions. The one I'm looking at is the 1999 F150 XLT 4.6l Triton V8. It has 130,000 miles on it. Visually the car looks great. It drives good, and a visual of the engine compartment and under the truck - all looks good. Fluids good, no apparent leaks. I will have it checked out by a mechanic if I decide to proceed. Asking price is $7400 and he is desperate to sell.

I've checked consumer reports and done a bunch of searches here and it seems that generally these are very reliable trucks.

Questions:

- Is this a lot of miles for this truck/engine?

- At 130,000 miles, are there any major problems looming, or is this a solid 250,000 mile engine.

- Any other thoughts or advise?

Thanks

Reply to
dc.nc

I've got a 99 F150 XLT 4x4 4.6L. I currently have about 170,000km on the clock (guess that would be about 105,000 miles or so). Mine still runs pretty close to new condition and I use it for truck stuff. I haul loads of manure, firewood, etc. with it so I have had some pretty good loads on at times. I've only had a minor number of problems with mine over the years. The first problem were the door cracks which got fixed under warranty. If you are not familiar with the door crack issue I am sure you can find lots of info on the net or I can go into detail if you ask. The second problem was the rear bushing backed itself out of my transfer case which resulted in a very loose rear driveshaft. Ford told me to go #$@#2R# myself since it wasn't their fault so I had to get the transfer case and driveshaft rebuilt at my cost (ended up being $999.20 Canadian which was better than the $4500 for a new transfer case plus $800 for a new driveshaft from Ford). There is a TSB out there which covers the rear bushing backing out of the transmission of the 99 F150 4x2 and the Crown Victoria and the rear bushing backing out of the transfer case of the 4-wheel drive Windstar van but Ford didn't want to hear about my problem. A friend of mine has a 99 F150 4x2 and he had his driveshaft checked and his was ok so yours will probably be ok too but you may want the mechanic to give it an extra look just in case. If you want a copy of the TSB for that let me know and I'll send you a copy. My third problem was an digital odometer display that would blank out interrmittently when it felt like it. This is a common problem which is the result of cracked solder joints on the back on the console. The fix is very easy and a fellow did a detailed step-by-step with pictures and all which can be found at

My final problem involved my windshield wipers. They would come on all by themselves and give a wipe or two and then stop. There is also a TSB out about this which involves replacing the multifunction switch (which costs about $113.00 Canadian). Since I am an electronics tech I figured I would take a crack at checking my switch out myself and see if there was something I could do. I ended up popping the little dome covering off the end of the wiper switch and inside there I saw there was a grease or some sort of lubricant used to keep things moving smoothly. I know that grease can change its conductive properties over time so I used a Q-Tip and wiped the grease out of that area. The wipers have been fine ever since so I think I was right in that fix. Tierods (inner and outer) got done around the 130,000km mark. Stabilizer linkages were done at about the 155,00km mark. For my front brakes I am on my third set of pads and second set of rotors. The rear brakes are still original and look almost new. The complete exhaust system is still original. The final thing is the cruise control recall which should be fixed very soon. Anyway, that is pretty well everything I can think of about my truck. Overall you can see it hasn't been bad at all.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

I've got the same truck with the same problem.

Here is the link to a very good description of how to fix the problem.

Ford F150 Odometer LCD turned off!!

Even has lots of pictures. I'm going to have to do this when I get the chance.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Sorry, wrong link! Let me try that again...

F150online Forums - Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

E23047FB2CC684B789E95978 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

That was the link I was referring to. I did mine back in October. It took me almost 45 minutes from start to finish to get mine done but about 20 minutes of that was spent trying to get my punch into the right spot to pop out the key assembly. Overall a really easy task.

Cheers, Lawrence

Stephen wrote:

Reply to
Lawrence

That sounds encouraging. Got any hints on getting the punch into the right spot so it doesn't take me 20 minutes? <:)

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen