1999 ford ranger 3.0 cerpentine belt not going on; verified the belt it is 1/2 inch shorter but correct

1999 ford ranger 3.0 cerpentine belt not going on; verified the belt it is 1/2 inch shorter but correct

I have struggled tith this belt for 6 hourd 2 times. I can put the old cracked belt on which seems to have stretched 1/2 an inch but the new one does not. both Napa and Car quest ato parts store are showing that number. ford shows 2 numbers one is the same and the other even a 1/2 inch longer than the old belt but on inch longer than the new one.

No way will I put on a belt that is longer than the old one that has already stretched.

I used a cheater on the wrench ( a 3 foot pipe tp pull the tentionar as hard as I can

I am thinking of a tuna fish can to push on the belt, soaping it up a lil and try to tention it down with force while my GF pulls the tentioner ans slip the belt from the tuna fish can to the balled tackless pulley.

anyone face my problem and solved it? is there anyway to get more tention on the tentioner to make room for the belt?

How could Forf leave me in such a rut? I had called a fine mechanic who has never done that belt but knew what is to be done, and be both together could not put it on....

HELP!!!

Reply to
Dick

Are you sure the tensioner is working properly?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The newer fiber reinforced belts don't really stretch. You might want to try the dealer.

Dick wrote:

Reply to
JimV

have you checked the numbers on the old one to be sure it HAS stretched ?

the belt number is in the form X K NNNN where X = number of ribs and XXXX is length in millimeters

for instance, a 5K1000 would be 5 rib, 1000 mm or 39.37 " long

see if there's a number on the old one, LOTS of parts places' 'reference list' is wrong...................you may need to add a bit to the number of hte 'correct' belt to get it right

what's the number on the new one ?

if you have a 5K1200 (as an example), you might need to go to the next longer, a 5K1215 for instance (just guessing at numbers)

Reply to
TranSurgeon

The tentioner has a notch on it much like the f key and the J key on the computer keyboards do, it was designed ( I am told) to watch and see how much the belt has stretched. Hence while these belts are made to stretch very liuttle the new belt is 1/2 inch shorter, thjan the old one.

I was able tp return the old one back in place, and am riding the truck with the old one the new one is a BEAR to put on. One solution I am thinking of is to find a large 3 1/2 inch bearing to press on the cerpentine belt down so I can slip the belt of it and push it to the pully possibly with some soap on the 2 metals and the belt I then still will have to push down on the beatring with force enough to strets it for the mounting. Possibly a tunafish can if it can hold up to being pushed without colapsing. Lastly putting in cement in a tuna fish can and then pushing it if I cannot find a huge 3 1/2 inch bearing

Reply to
Dick

Not that I can notice any damage on the pullye it is probably the first time the cerpentine belt is being changed the truck is a salvaged truck and it only has 52,000 miles on it otherwise runs like a top !!

Reply to
Dick

the next longer belt is an inch longer than the one listed as the right one.

The Ford part number is jk6 891 and the Napa one is

060882 the Car Quest is K060882 21mm x 2255mm the serial number on the present belt is : F77e-8620 NA AU
Reply to
Dick

well, just look at the numbers

Ford ends in '891' = 891 mm

NAPA and CQ end in 882 = 882 mm

that's 9 mm or just over 1/3 of an inch shorter

you need to buy it at Ford........................Napa and CQ sell them short cause they know it will stretch

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Ohh, It's hard enough for me to convert fractions of an inch in 4ths, 8ths,

16ths, and 32nds in my head. Quick, what's the next size down from 3/4"? See bottom of post :-)

Now you've added thirds...

CJB

Next size down from 3/4" is 23/32nds.

Reply to
CJB

yes I got it from Ford ford shows th 882 as the right one and the other one ids too long I did not get it the 891

Reply to
Dick

so get the '891', put it on, and get on with life than 0.35430770866141" of belt

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I could not measure but the actual belt was 888 and it measured a whole inch longer than the 882 donno why

Reply to
Dick

that should read "get on with life; there are more important things than

0.35430770866141" of
Reply to
TranSurgeon

what?

Reply to
Dick

Tale the difference in millimeters and divide it my 25.4

This will give you the difference in inches. It sounds like you need a belt that is 10 to 15 mm longer. This makes it about 0.4 to 0.6 inches longer. A quick conversion is to use 0.2 inches for each 5 mm.

Reply to
Mark Jones

You definitely need help. It should be obvious that the belt you are trying to put on, is too short. All this talk of 3 1/2" bearings and cement filled tuna cans to *force* your belt on tells me that changing a serpentine belt is way out of your league. Pay someone with a brain to do it for you. Sheesh......... H

Reply to
Hairy

Most vehicles with this belt has a pully you can disengage allowing you to put the belt on with no trouble. Then you put the pully back to its original position and the belt is on with the proper tension. I've never had a problem with one.

Reply to
Art Vandolay