2.8 head success!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I got everything done today, including a complete valve grind. I was able to polish the heads and the clean all the carbon and oil off the all the valves. Boy it feels good to have a v-6 again! Turned out I only needed 1 new exhaust valve, everything else was OK.

I got all the mating surfaces as clean as they could possibly be, and the only thing that gave me a problem was getting the intake on.

If anybody wants pics of the blown exhaust valve, lemme know.. I took pics of everything.

Thanks again to everyone who made this a success for me!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

I wouldn't start gloating too soon. The 2.8 and 2.9 V-6s were notorious for cracks. If you find water in your oil, you better start thing about a head replacement. Don't look for used ones they're all cracked. Been there and done that. Ron

Reply to
R&B

I wasn't gloating, but the heads looked OK.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Did the gaskets have obvious problems? If so relax, if not you should just keep an eye on things for a while. If you don't lose any more coolant you've probably got things handled. Bob

Reply to
Bob

The gasket wasn't torn but was very wet on the cylinder (gasket was none too pretty, but not totally blown) that had water shooting out the plug hole. I did grind all the valves and the valve seats and hand-lap the valves with

400 gritt compound.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed