2 Problems, 1998 1/2 Ranger 4x4 141,000 miles

I call it a 98-1/2 because it look like a 1999 (4 door), and has a manufacturer date of 8/98

2 problems.

1.) Will not engage auto locking hubs all the time (VERY Intermittent ) The Sticker says there's Pulse Vacuum Hublocks, the Chilton manual says there's a "vacuum disconnect axle lock ass'y" But I cant seem to find it. An internet search found an interesting answer

A vacuum leak?? This would answer why it sometimes works. But if I can't find the vacuum lines or axle lock ass'y, I'm lost. Anyone else heard of the vacuum leak problem? Should I go through the hassle or should I just replace them with Warn Manual Hubs?

2.) Antilock kicks in during deceleration at 5mph, even though the tires aren't locking, I can assume it's an antilock sensor because the vehicle pulls slifghtly to the right when my brake is applied and the antilock kicks in. Any suggestions other than buy a new truck?? :-)
Reply to
Dave

Get a set of Warne manual hubs installed.

1.) Will not engage auto locking hubs all the time (VERY Intermittent )
Reply to
pj

Checked, Warn doesn't make replacements for 1998

Reply to
Dave

Hi. I don't know where it's located, but a dirty valve could be problem. There is likely an electric solenoid which causes this valve to open and close. It may be under the battery box, or in some other impossible location. I love auto hubs and would be reluctant to go back to.... stop the truck, get out, click one wheel in, slosh around to the other side, click the other wheel in, etc.....

John Kogel

Reply to
Porky

Well that was expensive and not a day too soon, got 10" of snow in NE Ohio the next day and got stuck in traffic for 3 hours for a 40 min drive. For those of you who care :-) it was both hub related and vacuum related There was no vacuum at the hubs because the seals blew out, so the hubs had to be replaced. The antilock problem was a shorted sensor like I assumed. Grant total $890.24 Wish I could have put manual hubs in though.

Dave

Opps, forgot, the 890.24 includes $280.00 in labor, well worth it considering Ford got it done in 2.5 hours :-)

Dave

Why can't you put in manual hubs?? I switched from auto hubs to Warn Premium hubs on my 4Runner several years ago. Bolted right up.. Maybe 30 minutes to do both sides.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
Lapdog

Warn isn't the only manual hub manufacturer. A phone call to your local off roud outfitter might help.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Well don't I feel silly now. If the hubs last me another 140,000 miles I'll be happy :-)

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Dave