2 year or 5 year antifreeze?

2 year or 5 year antifreeze? I had trouble when I used 5 year antifreeze in my '75 F150 but I was also having other cooling system trouble at the same time, so I don't know what to blame on what. :)

The new situation is with my girlfriend's '96 T-bird.

I replaced the radiator (battery acid ate a hole or softened a spot on the end cap?) and hoses. She got it used from her uncle and the cooling system has always been murky looking. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and will need to put antifreeze in it soon but which one?

It's a 4.6 (281) V8 and the dangged thing is such a crowed mess I can't get to the engine drain plugs. I can see one of them but getting it out and especially getting it started again isn't something I want to do.

So... I've been pulling the lower radiator hose off every morning before she goes to work and replacing it with "distilled" water which only drains a little over half of it. It's getting there. :)

Alvin in AZ

ps- On my '75 360 V8 I drilled out and re-tapped my drain holes from

1/4" pipe to 3/8" pipe and use a square-headed pipe plug now and an 8-point 1/2"-drive socket (7/16"). It works great especially since I stopped using "pipe dope" and switched to that "anti-seize" (metal-powder+silicone?) :) I re-did the holes while the engine was out getting rebuilt, along with a whole mess of other crazy stuff like that. :)

pps- the cute factory battery cover was the culprit, it won't be doing that again! ;)

Reply to
alvinj

I would use the 2yr. The cooling system needs preventive maintenance every 2yrs, so following that, new coolant would be needed also.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Reply to
silverfox

silverfox writ:

The only thing this post proves is the foolishness of some folks. I stand by my post concerning the cooling system maintenance schedule being followed. Protection against freezing isn't the 'only' reason for using antifreeze....

Good luck you're own-self there silverfox, you're the one who needs it!

DS

Reply to
putt