2000 Exployer Freeze/drain plug location...

Thanks for any help in advance.

My son has a 2000 Ford Explorer, XLS (60,000) 4.0 Push Rod OHV 4X4.

I have the Haynes book (not so good) and a CDROM 2000 Fords Service Manuals also not so good.

I need to know the locations of the block/freeze plugs. Preferably a picture of the engine block itself. He was told by a mechanic that one needed to be replaced. The mechanic did not say which one.

It's so difficult to find this information. If anyone has had a small leak from one of these plugs please let me know which one and if anyone knows of where I can buy a book just on this engine.

Thanks again Hank snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net

Reply to
Hank

I cant tell you all the details, but you can get a complete repair manual for your car (or any car). They are not cheap though. However, some of them are sold on ebay and other online auctions. Maybe you can google something too. Search for "repair manual" +"2000 Ford Explorer".

I just did this. There are over 800 hits. Look at item # 8020739736 on Ebay. Its a CD. The ad says this

Here is the factory Shop Manual for 2000 Ford Econoline,Excursion,Expedition,Explorer,F150-F750, Ranger, Windstar, Lincoln Navigator, Mercury Mountaineer, Villager on CD. This CD is Fully Illustrated with easy search and find features. This CD does have the EVTM. You can print off the repair guide

Buy it now $5.50 plus about $4 shipping.

Good luck Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I have that CD and it's not so good believe it or not.

Thanks anyway. Hank

Reply to
Hank

Mine cost $8 and it's not worth a dime...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Glad I asked. I was thinking of getting one for my car. That's probably why its on ebay. They were probably rejected and someone bought them for a few cents a piece and dumped them on ebay. I hesitated to even mention it, because almost everything I have gotten from ebay was junk. I bet its 2 years since I bought anything from them.

Reply to
maradcliff

Why can't you just look for the coolant leak?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I will be doing that tomorrow. I will pressure test the system but wanted to know if anyone had a similar problem and had pictures of where the plugs are.

Also, the paper shop manuals for the autos seem to much better than the CDs even if they have the same info...

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Actually, those CDs are usually copies of the original Ford Factory Service CDs used in the dealerships produced by Helm. As far as the quality of the info, It's the best available. You would get the same info from the paper manuals from Helm. Information about core plugs (correct name for "freeze" plugs), is likely not included specifically because there is an assumption of familiarity with such a basic item. There will be 2 or 3 down each side of the block, usually 2 on the rear of the block, and 1 at each end of rhe cylinder heads. If you have one leaking, follow the wet trail to the culprit. Actually, if you look at the illustrations in the major engine repair section, you will probably see them in the illustrations.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

There is only one-passenger side, front of block, just below the first exhaust port....

Don't bother looking for block drains-there aren't any.

Reply to
Rick

Service

Preferably

My remarks apply to the SOHC block...

Reply to
Rick

No, not at all. When your making illegal copies of CD's and selling them, your overhead costs are so low that you can still sell them for a buck and make money.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I keep wondering about the "illegality" of selling these Ford CDs. I would surely think there are some copyright issues, but they are all over Ebay. One fellow has even put images of the CDs on a website for download. I wonder why Helm or Ford hasn't made an issue of this. A while back I noticed some of the post-2002 DVDs available on Ebay. I haven't seen any lately, though I really haven't looked. Maybe that's where the copyright holders drew the line.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

If it's the original Ford CD that came from the factory under a subscription plan it is not legal for the dealership that got those CD's to sell them as they are required by contract to destroy the old ones when the replacement updates are sent to them. And if a dealership employee or passers by appropriates the old ones and sells them, they are selling stolen goods which is also illegal. The upshot is that there's no way to transfer ownership of the old CD's to someone without breaking the contract with the publisher, but if some loophole allowed you to do it, there's nothing in federal law that's a violation.

Obviously, if the dealership outright bought the CD's initially, instead of getting them under subscription, then they can sell them.

Copies of the CDs are illegal to sell no matter what, unless a license fee has been paid on them.

Helm and Ford do have people that shut these people down on Ebay but it's a slow process. The problem is that the investigators have to buy these illegal CD's and get them in hand before they can sue the people. The sellers of these things are very savvy and suspicious and will check out the userIDs of the purchasers, if your userID is new, for example, and you win their auction, they will refuse payment and won't send you the CD. Ebay's security department has a way around this, it is a vast network of fake Ebay userID's that have fake feedback histories and fake auctions, and so on. But they primariarly use this network for their own internal investigations, not for small stuff. Corporate investigators have to build their own networks of fake userIDs.

It takes many complaints with Ebay before Ebay will pull the userID of the sellers. And of course Ebay stalls and stalls the process, going through 'mediation' as they call it. Then once the sellers are booted they just create new userID's

The only effective way to shut these people down is to fight them on their own turf, that is, illegally. For example, a number of years ago when I was looking for factory manuals for one of my vehicles, I kept getting snared by a particular CD seller who kept using "xxx factory service manual" in his descriptions, rather than just "xxx service manual" like the rest of them do. I was wasting a lot of time clicking on the hoped-for manual only to see another illegal CD advertised. I finally got sick of it and created a whole bunch of throwaway ebay ID's and just started buying every CD he advertised on Ebay and of course not paying him. Either he finally got sick of asking ebay for credits on his final value fees, or he stopped paying his ebay bill, but his userID disappeared shortly afterwards and the misleading descriptions stopped appearing.

The big problem, unfortunately, is that the vast majority of the customers that buy these CD's know perfectly well they are buying an illegal copy, and they never complain to anyone when they get it. Ebay makes millions of bucks off of people doing this kind of activity, and from their point of view, copyright violations are the buyers and sellers problem, not Ebay's. So, Ebay makes the usual politically correct protestations about not allowing illegal copyright violations sales on Ebay, but then does absolutely nothing when people see these illegal auctions and file complaints about them through the proper channels.

Ebay has become one of the most popular venues for disposal of stolen property today, and many law enforcement people are trying to figure out how to regulate them or otherwise prod them into policing their auctions more carefully. Unfortunately, Ebay has this angle figured out as well because police departments who don't criticize Ebay get instant responses when they ask for names and addresses of criminals on the system. In fact, Ebay will give any law enforcement person a complete workup on any ID on the system, not just their real name and address but history of every auction they ever were involved in. And Ebay saves everything, they have all auction data for every auction that has ever been in the system from day

  1. (even though they don't make it available to the general public) and all of that is free for the taking, without a subpoena, all the cop has to do is fax a request to them. The only thing Ebay doesen't give out to police in response to a fax is financial data - but Ebay will tell the cop if there's interesting trends in the financial data and advise them to get a court order to get it, once the cop does that then Ebay will give a complete history of all financial data on a person.

The law enforcement people don't want to jeapordize this so they are pretty muted in their criticism of Ebay's handling of it's auctions. I actually suspect that a lot of detectives and such prefer Ebay to make things so easy to fence stolen goods, that it attracts criminals, because then it's easier to catch them because the tracking of the auctions is so complete. Kind of the honeypot syndrome.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt