2000 F150 rotting exhaust

Hello everyone,

This weekend noticed dripping from my muffler in my 2000 4.2L std tranny f150. Turns out the bottom of muffler is rotting out. Only has 11k miles. Am surprised this happened so quickly. I live in SoCal so salted roads and weather is not a factor. Anyone else notice premature rusting of exhaust on these?

Thanks

Reply to
V8TR4

With only 11,000 miles in 4 years, I'd suspect the vehicle doesn't get warmed up on a regular basis. A good 30 minute run down the highway daily is required for a full warm up to keep the moisture out of the oil AND the exhaust system. Also, the muffler may have a drain hole in it allowing excess water out.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That is exactly what I told my wife, it's actually her truck. I also explained how some people would say that dual exhaust was a problem because it took longer to heat up and clear out residual water. I was just very surprised it happend so quickly, niether my mustang GT or my TR4 have had this problem and the TR gets driven even less. I have rescently gotten a MIG welder and was going to patch the muffler and also put in a drain hole.

Thanks for your input

Reply to
V8TR4

I agree w/Steve.....lack of use. On a related note, those motor homes that only get driven 1000 miles a year go through exhaust systems like nobodys business. Just rust away to nothing sitting there.

Reply to
bomar

You may live in Southern California, but judging by your mileage, you make a lot of short trips. Short trips generate a lot of moisture, but they don't get the exhaust system hot enough to keep the water in vapor form, so in tends to collect in the muffler. Guess what, warm water promotes rust, particularly when there is a little sulfuric acid hanging around (generated in the catalytic convertor because of trace amounts of sulfur in the fuel). F150's aren't the only vehicle that eat mufflers. My Sister's Honda Civic just ate one and I thought it had a stainless steel exhaust system (guess I was wrong). She is a teacher and her school is less than 3 miles from her home.

Regards,

Ed White

V8TR4 wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

The Mustang most likely has a stainless steel exhaust system. My 2001 GT did.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Are you sure it's rotted out? There is a small hole placed in the muffler for condensation drainage. Not doubting your judgment, but I have seen some confusion before. It's very rare for a muffler to rust out with the few miles as you have.

John

Reply to
PC PODD