2000 Ford Excursion Power Loss

I have a 2000 Ex with 136,000 on it. It has a V10, and is 4X2. At highway speeds, moderate to heavy throttle, or any other time, it will suddenly lose power. I have to pull over on busy interstates. If I shut it off and restart it, sometimes it will fix the problem, but not always. Anybody experience this with these trucks?

Reply to
Scott T. Indresano

You might start by changing fuel filter and if that does not help do a fuel pressure check. The problem seems related to periods of high fuel demand suggesting that it may be a fuel flow/pressure issue.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I just talked to my service guy. He said it was a fuel trim issue, and they had to get it over to Ford. Bank 1 is running lean, and bank 2 is starting to run lean as well.

Reply to
Scott T. Indresano

Just remember that if there is a plugged filter or a weak pomp that the reduced pressure under flow would tend to lean engine out because less fuel would be injected during programed injection cycle. Before you sink some serious coin into this, at least change the fuel filter.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Already did... no change. Not my problem though... Just bought the thing, the dealer is taking care of it.

Reply to
Scott T. Indresano

Let me know what you find....

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Low oil level will shut off one of the fuel pumps,(high pressure) reducing fuel pressure, thus reducing power as a safety measure to keep from blowing the motor due to the low oil condition.

Just one of a few things that can cause it.

Also, a broken substrate in the catalytic converter can cause those symptoms as well.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

We finally got some information from the dealer. It is the fuel pump.

Reply to
Scott T. Indresano

I suspected fuel pimp/pressure issue in the begining as I recall because it sounded like a fuel starve. Glad you got it fixed.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Got the truck back... nice to have power again.

Reply to
Scott T. Indresano

Got the truck back... nice to have power again.

Reply to
Scott T. Indresano

Amen to that, glad to hear it!

Especially in THAT powerhouse!