2000 Ranger Problems

Hoping someone in this group can lend some advice to me. My 2000 Ranger Extended Cab 4x4 has been having some noise problems. I had the front wheel hubs replaced, new brake rotors, new calipers, new brake pads, and new dust shields. The front differential was taken out, and the truck was driven to see if the noise was still there, and it was. It's like a rumble you would get from riding on cupped tires. The only thing is, we thought that too, and we switched wheels with my father's Explorer, and the noise is still there, just a little quieter. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next or what to look for? We had the differential out and looked at the spider gears, and they look like new. The truck only has 62,000 miles on it. Any help will be greatly appreciated by myself and my mechanic who is pulling his hair out, and has a spot worn in his scalp from scratching his head.

Thanks,

Jerry

Reply to
Rolling Rock 33

Two things come to mind...

Front end alignment (out of, can make cupped tires)

New "mechanic" 'cause yours doesn't sound like a real one.

Reply to
BOB

Front end was aligned after the new wheel bearings and all the brake components were installed. All is proper with the steering geometry. My off-road tires were cupped, that's why we swapped them out to test run the truck with a set of all season tires with smooth tread, to eliminate any tread or cupped tire noise. Rumble is still there. Before he reinstalled the wheel bearings and mounted the wheels, he let me listen to the shafts that connect the front differential to the wheel bearings, and it was a definite rumbling noise, and it was more pronounced on the passenger side. As for the mechanic, he has been on the job working on cars trucks and big rigs for 29 years. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing. Just the first time I ever saw him and all the other guys in this garage stumped, and that's about 15 guys. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Rolling Rock 33