2001 Explorer Sport Trac error codes

My son's Sport Trac has the following error codes: PO171 and PO174. Anybody able to assist in identifying the cause? The breakout (based on the Autozone tester) said "System too lean"

69800 miles on the V-6 4.0 2WD Check engine light came on when stuck in a Florida Interstate traffic jam (1 1/2 hour at a crawl). Is there a way to clear the check lite to see if the fault comes back?

Thanks

Jack

Reply to
Jack

On Fri, 12 May 2006 15:04:12 -0700, Jack rearranged some electrons to form:

vacuum leak maybe?

Autozone can clear it.

Reply to
David M

The AutoZone tester can reset the light for you. Press the Reset button. I'm not sure what can cause a "too lean" condition, but I'd not hesitate to reset the code and wait for it to return. I do not foresee any "safety of flight" issue here by waiting for the code to return. It might not come back, which is what you want. If it does come back, then you can expend the energy to figure out what's wrong.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I can't answer your question... but someone at

sure will. Great site for ST owners!

HTH

Reply to
Roadie

Have to agree, the above sight has great info. On this code, there is an elbow that splits and causes the to lean condition, everytime this code has occurred, the elbow has been the problem. Go to the sight and search on your code, there will be pictures of the elbow.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

Seen this allot on fords, something in the PCV system splits, lets unmetered air into the system, and the o2 sensors trigger the lean code. Look for and find the vacuum leak; write back if you look and don't find it for long term problem can start from this. The sport trac is seeing a lean condition, and will start pumping up the injector times to add more fuel to comp for it until it reaches the fuel trims limits, then another code will be added. So gas mileage will be looking south and you could clog or damage the cat (long term)

Reply to
Stephen H