2001 F150 & PATS theft light on?

I bought a replacement cluster for my f150, already programmed to my correct mileage and the key memory was blanked out at the vendor. They said as long as I had a key without an "S", and one or more with an "S", one most likely was a master and the others are slaves...well that is not the case. All 3 of my keys must be slaves as now I have the theft light on.

The original problem is the odometer does not always display but I am told the miles are correct. My dealer wanted $475+ to R&R my cluster and replace it. By doing this on my own, it's about $200 with my own labor. I am also going from an XL to an XLT cluster to get the tach benefit. I wonder if there is a secret warranty on the odometers - isn't displaying mileage a federal requirement?

Can I reinstall the old cluster and start the truck?

The only other choice I have is to have the truck towed to the dealer 1/2 hr away where I bought the truck 2 1/2 years ago. I remember when I picked it up, I had already told them I wanted a 3rd key, and they forgot to program it and tripped the PATS. Somehow they corrected that condition that night, even though service was already closed. Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

proper procedure is

pull info out old cluster with scanner (wds) install new cluster reprogram new cluster with old cluster info reprogram pats system or reset parameters

as far as I know there is no way around it, pcm needs to see last pats reading to start engine

On the ford website there is a tsb thats tells you what all the programming info on all clusters

I don't work for a ford dealer anymore and unfortuanaly they put me on " non active " , maybe someone else can find it with access.

Reply to
johanb

I got lucky, I put the old cluster back in and the truck started. I'll just tap the display when the odometer blanks out to get the miles to show again.

I assume the dealer can cut me a new matster key? Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Since you have already been tossing clusters in and out this should be a real easy task to fix your blanking display. I just did mine a few weeks ago. Where the cable goes into your cluster near the lower side you may find that you have some fractured solder joints. Just retouch those joints with a soldering iron and everything will stay lit on the odometer for you. Then again, if this isn't your problem then disregard my note ;-) If you want a step-by-step with pictures and everything then check out the web site

since I recall someone once posted a whole procedure on there of how to fix the solder joints for the disappearing odometer display.

Cheers, Lawrence

Rocky wrote:

Reply to
Lawrence

That is an excellent article - I wish I saw sooner.

I had already mailed my cluster out for repair with an independent shop.

On the phone, park city ford in Bridgeport, CT said they would cut me a master key, then when I got there, they said there is no such thing as master keys. For what they charge for service, I don't know why they have to resort to lying. They tried to talk me into spending $381 in addition to the $75 diagnostic fee.

I should have my cluser back in a few days. I'll report back how it turns out. Rocky

Reply to
Rocky