2001 F250 SD 5 speed trans fluid

I have a 2001 F250 SD gas, with 5 speed manual tranny.

Both the manual and the tag on the tranny says to use " Ford part # E6AZ-19582-B MERCON SYNTHETIC ATF or equivalent. "

It's the "or equivalent" that I am interested in, since the Ford product will cost too much.

Exactly what do I look for when I go into my local discount auto parts store?

A name brand example would sure be helpful.

Thank you...... Lee in Denver

Reply to
FjLee

Mercon V is Ford's version of synthetic automatic transmission fluid. There are several brands on the shelf at Autozone, Advance Auto, O"Reilly and all the others that are the Motorcraft Mercon V fluid or some other brand meeting this spec. I would not use a fluid other than the Mercon V fluid spec because a regular trans gear oil will make the trans hard shifting and a lessor fluid mary result in acellerated wear and increased heat. This is a matter of selecting a brand you trust of the Mercon V spec whether it be Valvoline, Motorcraft, Mobil, Coastal, Shell, Penzoil or whatever. Ther are several other suppliers of this spec. You will not go wrong or overspend with the Motorcraft brand of this fluid. It is a good product that will perform as required in your application. You should not change it until you can afford the correct fluid of whatever brand you settle on.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Do a Google Search on E6AZ-19582-B, and you will find the answer to your question.

It looks like there is a Castrol product that meets the "or equivelent" and I would guess there are several other transmission fluids that will do the trick too.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thank you for the response folks. I appreciate your attempts at helping me out. This turned into a long drawn out affair, and I blame Ford for that.

How difficult should it be to buy a quart of the correct fluid for a Ford manual 5 speed in an F250?

First I tried auto parts stores...........the personnel there didn't have a clue, nor did their computers. They showed _NOTHING_ that was suitable.

So I went to my friendly Ford dealership. A big dealership. Phil Long Ford in Littleton Colorado.

Showed em the Ford part number. Not a flicker of recognition. I got out the manual that came with the truck when I bought it NEW in 2000. BTW, this is a 2001 F250 SD gas. We now have 2 Ford parts guys involved.......and 2 computers, and the telephone. (They keep phoning "service" to see if "service" knew anything about this ATF.)

I guess that there are roughly 7 bazillion of these transmissions in current use, yet Ford has evidentally NEVER sold a quart of the fluid this tranny asks for.

Finally, tucked way down in the bowels of the computer, is acknowledgment that such a Ford part # as E6AZ 19582-B has at some time in the distant past existed. Computer says it was superceded approx. 1993. So WTF does my 2001 manual have it listed as the ONLY correct oil to use?

A third Ford parts guy joins the chase. He finally proclaims that what I should be seeking is Ford p/n XT2-QSM. The people in the "stockroom" have different ideas. That's an old obsolete number!!! No joy there.

Back to the computers.......(3 of 'em now!).......... See how easy this was??

One of the 3 nice Ford partsmen finally proclaims that XT2-QSM has morphed into XT5-QSM. It's right about now that I realize that I had been at that parts counter for over an hour, and I am starting to get pissed.

One of the nice Ford guys goes to lunch.

Stockroom accepts this latest part #, and I buy some of it. I guess it's called "sticker shock" eh? They hosed me to the tune of $12.28 per quart.

My fading satisfaction with FoMoCo takes another sharp dive downward. Buy American, eh? And look forward to episodes like this? Maybe not........

Lee in Denver CO

Reply to
fjlee

I don't see it that way at all. I wanted the correct fluid. So I tried to go by the manual that came with the truck. So me and the truck and the manual went to the Ford dealer. But ultimately, I indeed _DID_ put too much time into it. But I don't see that as being my fault.

I see it as the sorry-ass fact that the Ford parts guys could not decipher what fluid was correct for my truck using all the info tools that Ford MoCo put at their disposal.

Their books and their computer data was way outdated. Is that my fault?

The above is exactly what my manual says, also. It is hopelessly outdated info. That's the source of the time consuming dicking around by Ford parts people to find which ATF was correct. Is this my fault??

Sure ya can....if ya got the bottle of ATF sittin' in front of you. But the Ford geniuses didn't know which bottle to pick off the stock- room shelf. They could find _NOTHING_ that told 'em the correct part #.

Hell, they didn't even have a 2009 F250 SD paper manual. The most recent one thy could find was 2008. And ultimately, we found out that the 2008 manual was showing an INCORRECT part number!!!!

And there is some doubt in my mind that I have the correct ATF. The ATF they sold me is a blend, Ford p/n XT5-QSM, not a "full synthetic", ....and my manual is adamant that a full synthetic must be used. The tag on the tranny says the same thing. Way to go, Ford!!!

So "Thank you" for your input, Jeff, but I am still super pissed at Ford and their poor operation. I do not particularly fault the 3 parts guys........they were not given the correct tools to work with.

Lee

Reply to
fjlee

I don't see it that way at all. I wanted the correct fluid. So I tried to go by the manual that came with the truck. So me and the truck and the manual went to the Ford dealer. But ultimately, I indeed _DID_ put too much time into it. But I don't see that as being my fault.

there is enough information in the manual to go down to the corner and buy a bottle of ATF if you are willing to look up the numbers. Ford has a vested interest in you buying their stuff, but they are required to say, "or equivelent." You can find the equivelent, well, I can find it, in less than

3 minutes.

I see it as the sorry-ass fact that the Ford parts guys could not decipher what fluid was correct for my truck using all the info tools that Ford MoCo put at their disposal.

Their books and their computer data was way outdated. Is that my fault?

No, it's not your _fault_ that the book is wrong. It is your fault that you can't find the stuff you need. It was easy for me to find it, and I only looked for it because you asked.

The above is exactly what my manual says, also. It is hopelessly outdated info. That's the source of the time consuming dicking around by Ford parts people to find which ATF was correct. Is this my fault??

You don't know that it is hopelessly outdated at all. All you know is that the parts guys that couldn't find it in the first place said it had been superceeded for a model year of Ford product that is not your model year.

[...]

To their credit, the stuff you bought costed $13 per bottle, and you can get it on the corner for $4.50, so the parts guys at the Ford dealership problaby don't sell very much of it.

Dex II is almost as common as water, but people that know what they are doing simply ask for it, they don't bother with the part number or factory spec. I don't know how they would know to use Mercon (Dex II) unless they are professionals, at which point they would not buy it from Ford, or they look it up to find out what it is, at which point they would not buy it from Ford.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:56:56 -0700, fjlee rearranged some electrons to say:

Ummm, why didn't you just buy any quality brand of Mercon?

Reply to
david

There ya go....... I most assuredly did _NOT_ know what I was doing, that's why I initially approached this Forum, and why I ultimately wound up at the Ford dealership with my 2001 Ford manual in my hand.

I did not know WTF I was doing, but I was fairly determined to buy the correct product.

I don't feel that there should be any implied ctiticism based upon the fact that I was trying to purchase the correct ATF for my truck trans.

Lee

Reply to
fjlee

There are MANY kinds of ATF on the shelf. Many of 'em say MERCON.

Based upon can labels, there are many variants of MERCON. I wanted the correct variant of MERCON.

Please define "quality brand"........tho even if I had your definition of "quality brand" in my pocket, that still would not have told me which MERCON variant to buy.

If it takes 3 guys in a Ford dealership Parts Dept. over an hour to determine exactly what my manual says my truck requires, how the Hell is a non-automotive person like myself supposed to walk into a parts store and chose the correct item from the multitude offered? I did try, tho. And got nowhere.

That's when I decided I had better go to a Ford dealership. I knew I'd pay more, but for some reason I had the goofy notion that the Ford parts guy would have me fixed up and on my way in 5 minutes.

And in spite of what I learned, I still could NOT go into Discount Auto and confidently chose ATF for my truck. There's not enough info on the bottle to tell me what is correct. Now that all that stuff in Spanish is printed on the labels, there's not as much room for useful info in English.

Lee

Reply to
fjlee

All ATF bottles state the specification on the side, and you have the specification printed in the manual. .

It would be nice if the manual said Acme Brand ATF so that you could more easily buy what you are looking for. But they are not allowed to say that because that is a specific endorsement that the legal team tells them not to make.

You can be pretty sure that if you buy MotorCraft or AutoLite for your Ford Truck, you will be getting a product built to Ford specifications.

Sorry that you had so much trouble, but this is a chore that should have been handled easily with a single trip to your local parts store down the street.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Probably too late for you this time, but in the future, AMSOIL manufactures an ATF that meets or exceeds all ATF specifications (not to be used in CVT transmissions) and may be mixed in with original brands or used as a complete re-fill to gain maximum shifting and transmission performance. It's only $9.75 per quart (plus shipping).

Would have saved you money when you figure your lost productiity into the equation.

Steve

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:05:50 -0500, Steve rearranged some electrons to say:

Please stop spamming this newsgroup. Otherwise, will report to your ISP.

Reply to
david

If you spam this newsgroup one more time, I'm giving all here the address to report you to Amsoil, and you definitely will not be a rep anymore. They don't like that type promotions!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Don't threat, just do it.

Amsoil would like to know that it's name is being tarnished. Send them as much information as you can, and let them deal with it, or not. We'll know the "or not" part if this loser does not go away.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And besides that, the truck is a "5 speed". Thats a MANUAL transmission so the ATF suggestion is just dopey

Reply to
Rudy

Lots of late model manual transmissions take ATF. The reason is that the ATF is light wieght, thus easier to spin around, so it saves fuel as compared to other oils. The ATF also has a very high sheer strength, and this makes it a good choice in a transmission.

This truck specifically calls for ATF in the manual transmission, so the suggestion is not really as dopey as you might think.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

| > Probably too late for you this time, but in the future, AMSOIL | > manufactures an ATF that meets or exceeds all ATF specifications (not to | > be used in CVT transmissions) and may be mixed in with original brands | > or used as a complete re-fill to gain maximum shifting and transmission | > performance. It's only $9.75 per quart (plus shipping). | >

| > Would have saved you money when you figure your lost productiity into | > the equation. | >

| | Please stop spamming this newsgroup. Otherwise, will report to your ISP.

I'm not sure I understand... someone is complaining that they can't seem to find the corrrect fluid (Mercon V) for their transmission. Further, he complains that he spent over an hour at his local Ford dealer with the parts people unsure of what to recommend.

I offer a compatible product at a competitive price and somehow I'm branded as a spammer. I thought SPAMMING was repetitively posting OFF TOPIC posts. I am neither posting repetitive or off topic posts.

You may contact AMSOIL at:

and leave any complaints you feel are appropriate. My dealer number is: 1690163.

Please include a copy of the posting to support your position.

Reply to
Steve

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:20:28 -0500, Steve rearranged some electrons to say:

Spamming includes unwanted and unsolicited advertising, such as yours. Just the fact that you're "offering" your product here (your words, not mine) is unwanted commercial advertising. Take it somewhere else. Those of us who read Usenet do so because of the torrent of ads present in other venues. Stop advertising here.

Reply to
david

That's the first truth you've told so far.

"AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications: GM DEXRON® II, III & VI Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V & SP Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4® Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions) Toyota Type T and T-IV Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III Allison C-3, C-4 Caterpillar TO-2 Voith G607, G1363 ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9 BMW 7045E NAG 1 & 2 JWS 3309 LT 71141 (ESSO) Nissan Matic D, J & K Vickers I-286S & M-2950S"

It is IMPOSSIBLE for one single ATF to service all of those applications.

You have no proof that your product is compatible.

The only way your posts would be -on topic- is if the name of this group was 'alt.trucks.ford.snakeoil

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Direct Quote taken from the TRANSMISSIONS Section of the AMSOIL website:

Problem: AMSOIL INC. has been informed that some AMSOIL Dealers and their customers have experienced problems with their local Ford Dealership service department when bringing in the new AMSOIL Universal ATF for installation in their Ford vehicle transmission. They have been told that: A) You cannot put a Mercon V labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon application. B) That you cannot put a Mercon labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon V application (this is true). C) That you cannot put a dual usage labeled ATF product in the Mercon application or the Mercon V application. Since the new AMSOIL Universal Transmission Fluid is labeled dual usage, recommended for both Mercon and Mercon V applications, some Ford Dealership service managers are telling their customers that if they put the AMSOIL Universal ATF product in their transmission it will void their transmission warranty.

Answer: At least one oil companys ATF product with a Mercon V rating does not also meet Mercon performance requirements. This has apparently caused a great deal of confusion about allowing Mercon V ATF to be back serviceable in Mercon applications. The AMSOIL Universal ATF has been formulated to meet or exceed both the Mercon and Mercon V specification, as well as G.M. Dexron III and Chrysler ATF+4. It is fully supported through documented testing. It is recommended for and can be used in ALL of the applications listed on the label. PERIOD.

If someone is misinformed on this issue and actually denies a manufacturers warranty coverage because of the use of AMSOIL Universal ATF Fluid in one of the applications for which it is recommended by AMSOIL INC., the AMSOIL Warranty coverage would apply. The consumers transmission would be repaired under the AMSOIL Warranty. AMSOIL INC. and our insurance company will legally pursue the dealership or the manufacturer to recover our costs. AMSOIL INC. would not make the recommendations on our label, or issue this statement, if we were not completely confident of our position on this matter. While we cannot control what individuals say about this subject, we can and do insure that consumers can use our product with complete confidence and without risk.

Reply to
Steve