2001 F30 Tranny Problem

I just bought a 2001 F350 4x4 with 137,000 miles from a dealer in Ocala FL who did give me a 30 day powertrain warranty.

Starting the truck up and driving it home, including an over nite stop, I had no problems. This was just days ago, on flat land. Yesterday and this morning, I started it up, tried to go up a slight hill in my driveway,and the tranny would not go forward or reverse, and I had to wait about 20 minutes for it to warm up before it would drive. This morning I noticed that the overdirve light was blinking on and off, and once the truck started to move, the light went off.

Im on verizon cellular, and if you are too by some chance, please give me a call if you can at 828-773-7104. My home number is below as well, or you email me. I think I will have to get in touch with the dealer right away tomorrow, and I need to learn as much about these 2001 trannies as I can. ( My last truck was a 1997 350 which I never had a problem with in 287,000 miles.

Regards - Bill McCullough Banner Elk, NC

Reply to
sky

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:38:07 -0700, sky rearranged some electrons to form:

The O/D light blinking means a problem has been detected by the computer, and a code should have been set.

Reply to
David M

My symptoms seemed similar after about 3 months of ownership and no towing and only occasional light hauling (a ton or less). On the way home from work, the OD light went on and shifting was erratic. I barely got the truck to the dealer the next morning. The trans was fried and I had it replaced...out of warranty.

Kinda soured me for a while, but it really is a good truck and will continue to be if I take care of it, which I don't think the previous owner did. I believe in your research you'll find that the trans isn't very forgiving when it's not properly taken care of.

IMO, you should get it to the dealer ASAP!

Agave /Salud, dinero, amor y tiempo para disfrutarlos/

01 F350 PSD Crew 4x4 Dually
Reply to
Agave

It sounds to me like the transmissiion fluid is very low. The blinking O/D light is a message from the transmission that it is thirsty. The lack of movement merely backs up the fact that the transmission is empty.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I would start with a fliud change and a new filter and make sure it is refilled to proper level.

SnoMan

And if its a 4R100 transmission like mine (02 F350)..make sure they use ONLY Mercon III ATF. NO dual Dexron/Mercon (they buy this by the barrel so will try to put it in !) and no misc little bottles of "conditioner" etc. Just the straight Mercon. Not Mercon 5 either !

Reply to
Rudy