2001 Ranger...a bit long

I've been lurking here for some time and gathered quite a bit of useful information from you folks...so I've decided to share my experience with those who might be interested. I have a 2001 Ranger Edge, 2wd, 4.0L 5speed auto. I purchased the truck with 9k on the clock. At about 13k I noticed the infamous rattling timing chain when cold problem at 2700 RPM. I also had a thump type noise coming from the rear when accelerating from a stop. I brought it in for repair...after a few phone calls and complaining I got them to perform the TSB for it. I was also told the thump was normal for my truck, something to do with the rear springs. I got the truck back after 4 days and the rattling time chain was still there. It was definitely quitter and the RMP range moved up to

3000....I learned to live with it. I currently have 27k on the clock and it developed a nasty pinging problem and a ticking heard from the drivers side after warm-up. Tried switch to higher octane for the pinging, rpms started dropping below 450 rmps on deceleration....back to the shop she went. I decided to bring up the timing chain issue and thump noise again. Day 1 was told the PCM needed an upgrade for the pinging and they were still working on the ticking noise. Day 2 (today) was told a drive shaft was ordered for my truck and will be in tomorrow. This was to take care of the thump noise from starting from a stop. Was told the earliest I would get my truck back would be tomorrow. Asked about the ticking, was told they were still working on it. I'm almost afraid to ask about the timing chain again. The dealership really seems to be working with me on this one. I just hope they find the ticking source...at first I thought it might be normal, but the fact that they were looking for the cause tells me it's not. For those interested I will post an update after I get the truck back. Hope others are having better luck with their 4.0L.

Tony

Tony

89 XLH
Reply to
Tony

If the truck is still under warranty, make them fix the timing chain noise. There is no sense putting up with problems from a truck that you have a warranty on.

Reply to
Mistercmk

The TSB takes care of the timing chain tensioner. This is simply a tensioner built into a big bolt that screws into the head and keeps tension on the timing chain cassette (a cheap plastic guide for the chain).

If the tensioner was replaced and the noise is still present then the chain guide(s) need to be replaced. There is a guide in the front and one in the rear of engine. The only problem you have now is whether or not the broken plastic guide allowed enough play in the cam to bend a valve or two. I've seen it quite a few times.

The cylinders that are effected are 4 thru 6. All the cylinders on bank 2 (drivers side of engine). There is a procedure for the Technician to follow to determine in any valve damage occurred. (symptoms are noise and slight to heavy miss in engine) usually at idle.

The procedure calls for the Technician to measure cylinder leakage and if leakage of 50% or more is found in a cylinder the engine gets replaced (if your vehicle falls within certain parameters, mileage etc).

The thump in the rear could be several things. If it happens when you first accel from a stop then the driveshaft does need to be replaced. I've also seen the four bolts (12mm torx head) that attach the driveshaft to the differential flange come loose just enough to cause a concern.

Hope you get it fixed,

John

Reply to
PC PODD

Man. Now there's a way to answer a post. Wish I could find such great info whenever I need it.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

they're 12mm 12-point, not Torx

with all the freaking Loc-Tite that Ford slathers on the driveshaft fasteners ????? or did they stop using it ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Sure enough! :) If you really liked that one, get yourself an old aircooled VW they have all kinds of similar problems too. Rangers are cool that way too, from what I've read here, sounds like a good vehicle to own if you want to fix it yourself especially.

Since a vehicle is going to have problems anyway, they might as well be the same ones all its brothers is having, is the way I see it. :) But I'm kinda weird. :/

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Thanks for the good info. As of 6:00pm today still no word about the truck. The service rep. assured me they will look into all my concerns. I'm not sure if the valves are bent or not, but the ticking is a very quite tick. It can only be heard when outside the truck after it warms up. It could be normal, I don't know. I'll post a follow up to what they find.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Here's the follow-up I promised. I got my truck back yesterday....they replaced the MAF sensor....pinging problem is much better. I only get very light pinging now when engine is under load (ex. up high with the engine hot and AC on). They replaced the driveshaft which took care of the thump noise/ slipping feeling in the rear. I was told the light ticking noise was the fuel injectors. As for the timing chain rattling they wouldn't listen to me. They claim they start the engine when cold and hear nothing. I tried to explain to them the truck needs to be driven with the RPM's above 3K. They said it was probably just the pinging problem. The chain ratlle still exist, but I don't see much sense in making a big deal about it. After the truck warms up the noise is gone so I figure the hell with. My last 6 auto's were Fords, all purchased at dealers. The last 2 purchased from the same dealer doing my warranty work....all I can say is my next 6 autos *will not be Fords*. They can treat me like a smuck, thats fine, I'll try Toyota next time....I'll but $1,000 dollars they'll take care of me and I know their trucks don't ping, rattle and tick!

Good luck to you other die hard Ford fans...this one has finaly died. Tony

Reply to
Tony