2001 Ranger engine swap from V6 to V8...hybrids and Yugos pass me on Interstate at 92 mph

This is my 8th Ranger over the years, I love them.... BUT Ford has the speed limiter set on it to 92 mph on this 2001 Edge extended cab....ridiculous for a

4.0 L SOHC angine with a 5 spd OD automatic transmission. It smokes the Michelins off the line, and I get 55 in 1st gear, 92 in 2nd, and then it shifts to 3rd, 4th, 5th and OD, staying at 92 mph, and nobody makes a chipset that removes the speed limiter for my year engine, grrr! It redlines at 5600 rpm, so it might possibly turn 125-130 mph IF they didn't have that stinking chipset programmed so low. I am embarrassed when a Yugo or a Metro passes me at 90. I am ready to snatch out the 4.0 and swap to a 5.0 or 4.6 so I can at least get speed parts and programmed chips for it. Anyone tried this swap to a V8?
Reply to
<someone

Call these guys, maybe they can help you... They did a custom one for my F-450...

BD Diesel Performance... Toll Free. 1.800.887.5030 Tel. 604.853.6096

Ford Speed Eliminator

Is the factory 95 mph speed limit not fast enough for you? How about 130 mph+!!! Sounds great doesn`t it, all this new power and the top end MPH too. Easy underhood installation makes everything a breeze. Just be sure to have those Z rated tires handy.

My Names Nobody

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 05:38:24 +0000, someone rearranged some electrons to form:

It most likely doesn't have speed-rated tires and certainly doesn't have adequate weight balance and handling to go that fast, so keep away from this idiot as he is going down the highway.

Reply to
David M

92 mph is plenty fast to be going with one of these when you consider that the highest speed limits on the interstate are substatially slower than this.
Reply to
Mark Jones

limiter set on it to 92 mph on this 2001 Edge extended cab....ridiculous for a

4.0 L SOHC angine with a 5 spd OD automatic transmission. It smokes the Michelins off the line, and I get 55 in 1st gear, 92 in 2nd, and then it shifts to 3rd, 4th, 5th and OD, staying at 92 mph, and nobody makes a chipset that removes the speed limiter for my year engine, grrr! It redlines at 5600 rpm, so it might possibly turn 125-130 mph IF they didn't have that stinking chipset programmed so low. I am embarrassed when a Yugo or a Metro passes me at 90. I am ready to snatch out the 4.0 and swap to a 5.0 or 4.6 so I can at least get speed parts and programmed chips for it. Anyone tried this swap to a V8?

If you want to go fast, a pickup truck is not the thing to be doing it in. You can get into trouble really fast at 92 when you have the handling of a brick.

Reply to
JimV

And you are going where in such a hurry? How about posting the routes you regularly drive so the rest of us can stay out of your way.

Most dangerous driver on the road is NOT a DUI -- it's an asshole who likes to go fast, especially when he's in a vehicle that is not meant to be stable at higher speeds.

". . . smokes Michelins off the line." Hmmmm -- your Daddy must be buying your tires.

"55 in 1st gear." Sure you do.

Reply to
Joe S.

Yugos and Metros are passing him at 90?. He's full of sh#t.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Please post your VIN so we can avoid buying this truck on the Beat To Shit market.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Try looking @ Sniper Tuning for a reprogrammer to eliminate the artificially low limit.

talks about what you can do with the programmer.

I have one, used it on a '98 Ranger 3.0L, increased milage from ~17 to ~20 mpg.

Lots of parameters are adjustable, this thing allows access to most, if not all.

~cbp

snipped-for-privacy@somedoma> This is my 8th Ranger over the years, I love them.... BUT Ford has the speed

limiter set on it to 92 mph on this 2001 Edge extended cab....ridiculous for a

4.0 L SOHC angine with a 5 spd OD automatic transmission. It smokes the Michelins off the line, and I get 55 in 1st gear, 92 in 2nd, and then it shifts to 3rd, 4th, 5th and OD, staying at 92 mph, and nobody makes a chipset that removes the speed limiter for my year engine, grrr! It redlines at 5600 rpm, so it might possibly turn 125-130 mph IF they didn't have that stinking chipset programmed so low. I am embarrassed when a Yugo or a Metro passes me at 90. I am ready to snatch out the 4.0 and swap to a 5.0 or 4.6 so I can at least get speed parts and programmed chips for it. Anyone tried this swap to a V8?
Reply to
CBPetrovic

Tuners CAN NOT address Fords new (2005 and newer) speed limiters...

If you guys think speed is dangerous, try driving on the highways of California in a brand new 325 horse 570 torque truck that is speed limited at 80 miles per hour (power starts cutting out at 76)... Now that is dangerous...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

extended cab....ridiculous for a 4.0 L SOHC angine with a 5 spd OD automatic transmission.

Anybody that drives a Ranger over 55 mph is asking for trouble, and a certifiable Damnfool© to boot.

Hell, you can tell just by looking at a Ranger that the stats, were they available, would show that the Ranger rollover problem is worse than the Explorer was ever rumored to be -- not to mention, it's one very unattractive motor vehicle.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

And excatly what is the application for driving a pick-up truck faster than

90 mph? If you want to go fast, get something designed to go fast.

I have driven one at 75 mph many times. No problems at all.

Stats are available. There is not a significant rollover problem with Rangers and for that matter, there wasn't one with Explorer 4 Doors either (2 doors are another matter). Toyota 4Runner and Chevrolet S-10s had higher rollover rates than Explorers. Why don't we hear about those?

Rangers have a better injury loss rating than most small cars, and even some full size trucks (like the Tunder 4 door).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Cite for rollover rate, Ranger v Explorer?

Cite? -- though I can believe it in the case of the small cars.

In spite of all the internal safety gadgets & frontal crush zones, these small cars so many folks drive these days scare me. I don't like looking eye to eye with somebody else's headlights.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

This should be the only Cite you need....

My Name Is Nobody