2001 Ranger --- Limited-slip rear end noise?

Hi Guys,

I have a question that concerns the limited-slip rear-end in my 2001 Ranger, which has the F6 axle code on the sticker on the drivers side door post. This truck is equipped with the 3L V6 and the 5 speed standard transmission, and currently has 145,000 KM on the odometer.

I started hearing a noise from somewhere back there about a month ago when taking off from green lights. Although I have never burned any rubber with this truck, I generally don't waste too much time getting on my way off the line, so I guess my driving style could be described as semi-aggressive.

The sound is a difficult one to describe (can't seem to think of anything else that sounds like that), but it happens at exactly the same time as I'd expect to hear a back tire spinning on dry pavement if I had put my right foot into it hard enough. I should also mention that I've heard it happen when driving in reduced traction conditions like snow and ice, so I doubt that I'm hearing a back tire burning rubber or anything like that.

This sound only occured off the line previously, but the other day I heard it again when shifting into second gear. This sound isn't anything very loud either, as I doubt I'd even hear it if the radio was on at a low volume setting.

I suspect I'm hearing the clutch packs spinning in the limited slip diff, and I was wondering what you guys think. Since it happened when shifting into second the other day, I'm also anticipating that it is likely going to get worse over time.

I have a few questions about this:

1) Do you think these symptoms sound like something that would point to the chutch packs in my limited-slip diff?

2) Is this a Ford 9 inch rear axle like the old days, or is this another design altogether?

3) Is this big money to deal with parts and labor-wise, or will the repair job be something that won't scare me too much financially?

4) Is this something that can be put off for a while, or would it be in my best interests to get on it right away before any more damage is done, like a set of almost worn-out brake shoes that are just about ready to carve some nice deep grooves into the brake drums?

If I was younger, it was summertime, and I didn't mind the smell of differential lubricant so much, I'd probably consider going in there myself. Since I strike out on all three scenarios, it looks like I'm going to pay someone else to do it this time around, so I'd like ask you guys what you think.

Cheers,

Ken

Reply to
kenb

Since you didn't try to even describe the noise, it's not easy for me to guess. Having recently had clutch pack trouble with my towing package E-150 Chateau, I am familiar with several noises. ;-)

I do suspect that the noise is from the clutch packs. If that's the case, there's no danger in driving it. The worst thing that will happen is that the l/s will become inoperable and start behaving like an open diff.

I can also tell you that the first thing anyone's going to suggest is just to add some more anti-slip additive. That often quiets noisy clutch packs. Have you even looked underneath to see if the diff is leaking? Have someone lift the truck, check the level, and add some limited slip additive. I'll bet that quiets things down nicely.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

OK, I'll try harder to describe it! ;-) It could be described as a short "shunt" sounding kind of sound (did that make sense?), nothing metallic or anything, and only lasts for a fraction of a second or so.

No leaks, and the truck looks and drives like it was well mantained and pampered by the original owner. Thanks for the fast reply CJB, the news sounds good to me so far. I'll look into the anti-slip additive.

Cheers, Ken

Reply to
kenb

On the 3 or 4 Rangers I've had, they all exhibited a little noise in the rear suspension after a while. It may just be the movement of the suspension.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The LS clutches won't come into play unless you're spinning a tire or turning a corner. I suspect what you are hearing is slip spline bind and release on the drive shaft. Pull the slip joint apart and lube it with a GOOD moly based grease and put it back together. See if the noise has gone away or changed.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Doh! How could I forget that... You're prolly right.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I should have gone on to say IF the noise is changed or gone, then replace the slip yoke. The new ones have a nice nickel coating on the splines that helps prevent this problem.

Reply to
Steve Barker

To answer your specific questions.. 1) NO, only if one wheel is slipping as previously stated.

NO, its an 8.8" rearend. Ford did not put the 9" in the ranger after 86 I think it was. I have a 2000 with 8.8" 28spline axle. I am willing to bet that is what you have. If you search "Ford F6 axle code" in google the first page it lists has your axle code on it. The info is as follows: F6- Limited Slip- 2700lb capacity- 3.73 gear ratio. The first letter denotes L/S or open diff. and the # denotes your gear ratio. Mine is a 97 meaning: 3200lb cap- open diff- 4.10 gears.

You can replace the OEM l/s for less than $400 with a Powertrax Traction System. Its a gear type locker. I am installing one in my truck as I have an open diff.

If you have an L/S problem like CJB said, it will only eventually act as an open diff, and not give you the lockup on both wheel.

I like the previous answers of it sounds like either the suspension is moving and thats what you are hearing, or the driveshaft slip shaft is binding and needs lubed. It is possible that it could be something in your differential, possibly alot of backlash, is it more like a "bump" or "grunt", or something else? Can you be a bit more discriptive about that noise? That is VERY important, as that is your whole complaint. An inaccurate description will cause an inaccurate diagnosis. Is it high pitched, low pitched, how long exactly does it last (1sec, 3 sec?), stuff like that.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech