2001 Ranger wiper failure

The wiper died on my truck with only 60K miles. It was snowing but the blades stop on the very first stroke pointing straight up on the windshield, not while attempting to park. The motor wasn't under any apparent load. The 30 amp fuse is OK and I can hear a clicking under the dash. Is this a common problem? Are there any likely causes or places to probe with a meter?

Reply to
tomcas

sounds like the motor and switch are ok , but the linkage to the wiper arms has become disconnected or broken.

Reply to
samstone

You were close. It seems that ice in the area of the linkage stopped it. After sitting in a heated garage for a few hours it loosened up and is now working. Thanks.

Reply to
tomcas

I have the same exact problem with my 2003 Ranger as of yesterday. Ohio here and its been very icy and no heated garage.Any tips on thawing the linkage out side?.It looks hidden and incased.Could i use a heat gun or hair blower in any area that may help?.Warmer temps coming and after the last post i surely hope mine will do the same thing before i call THE SHOP!.

Reply to
Greg Dayton

Get a spay can of liquid deicer.. If you can see the linkage, spray it on the connections.. A hair dryer might work too if its not too windy..

Reply to
Ford Tech