2002 f150 wheel noise?

I have just started hearing a knock, sounds like it is in the passenger side front wheel. The sound only occurs when hitting small bumps in the road in the normal course of driving. When the brakes are applied, even lightly, the sound goes away. I was thinking calipers or ball joints. Any ideas?

Reply to
renan.jefferies

Could be a loose shock or sway bar bushing. Check your lugs too. Loose ones will make a noise before they fall off.

Reply to
gw

I'd be looking for a missing anti-rattle clip, or loose caliper mounting. Shock and sway bars would not be affected by braking.

Steve Barker

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

I have a 98 F-150. I started noticing something like that when it was fairly new. One or two years. I think they call it the idler arm, as I recall. Anyway, there, on the 98, there is 2 grease fittings. I got out the grease gun and shot grease into them. Stopped the noise. If I don't grease them every 6000 miles, the noise starts again. Having said that, for safety reasons, don't rule out what the previous commenters have said. Good Luck!!!

Reply to
Larry Suddarth