2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L V6 "clanking" sound

You're kidding right? OK, I'll bite. I have the exact same model. During the summer, when pulling up a hill on warm days, I get that sound too. What it is is pre-ignition or spark knock. A little is normal and nothing to worry about. If it becomes very loud, causes the truck to vibrate noticeably or if it occurs when cruising on level ground, it needs to be looked at. Go to the local Costco/Sam's Club and pick up a 4 pack of Chevron's Fuel Injector Cleaner. Here in the PRK it will run you $9.00 and change for four bottles verses $10.00 for one bottle at your local auto parts store. Follow the directions on the bottle and see if things improve slightly. Odds are they will. At 3+ years since purchase you might have maybe 40K on the clock already. I know I have just shy of 48K. There is bound to be some carbon build up in the motor by now, especially on the plugs. This stuff will clean it out pretty well.

Reply to
Reece Talley

am guessing htat it's engine knocking you did not say what altituse you were at or how steep a hill you were climbing.....

Shakieh31 wrote:

Reply to
jamoran

"" wrote: > You're kidding right? OK, I'll bite. I have the exact same > model. During the > summer, when pulling up a hill on warm days, I get that sound > too. What it > is is pre-ignition or spark knock. A little is normal and > nothing to worry > about. If it becomes very loud, causes the truck to vibrate > noticeably or if > it occurs when cruising on level ground, it needs to be looked > at. Go to > the local Costco/Sam's Club and pick up a 4 pack of Chevron's > Fuel Injector > Cleaner. Here in the PRK it will run you $9.00 and change for > four bottles > verses $10.00 for one bottle at your local auto parts store. > Follow the > directions on the bottle and see if things improve slightly. > Odds are they > will. At 3+ years since purchase you might have maybe 40K on > the clock > already. I know I have just shy of 48K. There is bound to be > some carbon > build up in the motor by now, especially on the plugs. This > stuff will clean > it out pretty well. > > -- > R. J. Talley > Teacher/James Madison Fellow > NAR #69594 > NRA #133073736

I recently changed the spark plugs about 3 months ago and I did find a little oil on the 3rd cylinder?s plug. Just also wondering if that?s anything to be concerned about. I?m not burning any oil, nor does it seem that I?m losing any between oil changes. Thanks for the help though!! I?ll definately try that. Like you said, it?s not a real serious issue yet, but I would like to prevent if from getting any worse. I just wasn?t sure if the fact that I had changed the spark plugs a few months ago may lead it to be something else. Thanks again for all the help though!!

Reply to
Shakieh31

"ford" wrote: > am guessing htat it's engine knocking you did not say what > altituse you > were at or how steep a hill you were climbing..... > > > Shakieh31 wrote: > > > I have a 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 and was wondering if you > guys could > > help me with something. It?s not a real serious issue...... > yet. I?ve > > heard this sound on the road before with other cars and it?s > not real > > loud on mine. Usually occurs when I?m going up-hill and the > engine is > > working a little harder. The noise kind of sounds like there > are > > bottle caps bouncing around under my hood, almost like it?s > coming > > from the pulleys near the belt or something. It?s a metallic > sound but > > isn?t real loud and is really only noticeable up-hill. I > know it?s > > pretty hard to give me an idea of what it is seeing the fact > that I > > guess that you would have to hear it to know. I just know > it?s a > > distinctive sound that I have heard other cars making > before. I do > > appreaciate the help though!!!!! Thanks! > > > > > > > > > > > Tony > >

I live in Ohio, if that gives you a good idea of altitude. Not anything too crazy like Colorado or anything. The hills don?t have to be too steep. I now realized today that it happens in 3rd gear. Like I said, the sound isn?t too loud doesn?t really sound like a knocking or a thud. It sounds more like there is something bouncing around under my hood like there?s something loose or something. Anyways, I definately appreciate all the help from you guys!! Keep the ideas coming if you have them!!!!

Tony

Reply to
Shakieh31

Sometimes a sound like that can be caused by the starter motor not retracting. The gear on the starter motor hits the flywheel and usually only while heading uphill (on Rangers and Explorers anyway).

What I did to isolate the problem (and verify) on my Explorer was to park on a hill headed up so that it was making the noise and very carefully backed out the starter motor while it was running. Be careful if you decide to do this. Block your wheels etc and take car not to short anything out.

BTW mine sounded like it was coming from inside the front of the engine.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Ulysses

What you are describing sounds like the fuel injectors pulsing, which on my

1991 Ranger with the same engine, sounds like valve tapping. I've been told by many people that the injector pulse is noticeably louder on these engines and not to confuse it with the valvetrain. However, as you suggested with your own truck, my trucks noise is much more noticeable while accelerating up a hill or under load.

Chances are, this is probably what you are experiencing too. I've had my truck 3 years, it has over 230,000 kms and the engine still runs like a top and absolutely no engine work. If I were you, I would not let it worry you.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky