2003 EXPEDITION

Is there a solution to getting rid of the continual brake dust on the front wheels of a 2003 Expedition.It seems to be quite a common problem+ the dealership doesn't seem to have the answer? Thanks Bruce H.

Reply to
Bruce

You can try brake shields, but they may affect brake cooling. A good scrubbing and a coat of good wax might help the wheels shed the dust a bit more between washes.

Any of the spray-on wheel cleaners work pretty well. Just make sure you get the proper type for your wheels.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Keep your rear brakes properly adjusted, by using the emergency/parking brake, and the front brakes won't have to work so hard. Brake early for a stop, rather than at the last minute, that eats the pads up.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

yes, i took mine in for new brakes and tyhe problem went away, it seems to me the factory brakes create alot more dust than the replacemnet brakes. yes i had the brakes replaced by my friendly local ford dealer.

Reply to
Joe Sumbody

I was told that it would help if I switch my 2004 F-150 to ceramic pads when they need to be replaced. These trucks and SUVs seem to use up the front pads fairly quickly because I was told to expect to replace the front pads at 20,000 miles.

Here is what the Bosch website has to say about ceramic pads:

Q. How are ceramic brake pads different from semi-metallic brake pads?

A. Ceramic brake pads incorporate a formula that includes ceramic materials and utilizes less metal (approximately 15% metal content by weight). Ceramic brake pads combine exceptional braking power with very quiet and low-dust braking. However, it is not recommended to use ceramic brake pads for towing applications.

Semi-Metallic brake pads incorporate a formula that utilizes approximately

40% or more metal content by weight. Semi-Met brake pads offer premium braking power and work particularly well for towing applications.

Mark Jones

"Mark Jones" wrote in news:TJcKc.5439$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

*snip*

Ceramic pads are the way to go if they fit your application. The front wheels on my 2000 Ranger always looked terrible, even after only two days of driving after washing. I changed the front pads at 42,000 miles and put on ceramic pads. Now even after a month without being washed they still look good. Brake dust has been reduced dramatically.

Reply to
Hotwhlz85