2004 F-350 SD Tire Recommendation?

Had a new one Sunday, March 18th.

Riding down the road with the wife driving the truck, suddenly felt like we had blown a tire, or it had suddenly gone flat.

Pulled over and stopped, got out to look at what we both thought was the problem on the front passenger side tire, to find it was fine.

The drivers side tire had a bulge the size of a cantaloupe on it, and the bulge was growing as we watched it.

Immediately started letting air out of the tire, to prevent it from blowing. Got the spare on it, and finished the trip.

Took the tire to Discount Tire, but they do not carry the original equipment tires in stock. They prorated the one that had the bulge and wanted to know if I wanted to wait three days for replacement tire to match what was there or look at other tires.

I looked at the Cooper Discovery ATR tires, but was unsure how they would fair on the Super Duty.

Anyone have these tires, or can recommend a tire to replace the General Tires that are OEM?

Reply to
Edward Stammer

I think almost anything would be better than a General tire. They last forever, and that's the bad news.

In general, Cooper has a good reputation, but I can't speak for their truck tires.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Cooper Tires:

I used to sell 'em.

They're awesome, I recommend them over any other.

I run them on my '99 F350 4WD Dually, '95 Bronco, '97 Jeep, '87 Jeep, '83 Jeep.

60,000 plus and probably 35% tread left on the SuperDuty.

I've run Coopers on most every vehicle I've owned, and switched to them from Goodyear and BFGoodrich.

Just my .02

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:59:19 +0000, Edward Stammer rearranged some electrons to form:

Michelin. BF Goodrich. Uniroyal.

Anything but Badyears.

Reply to
David M

Any of the tires listed so far as long as they are Load Range E.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

I run a set of 8-ply Discoverer ATR's on my Ranger, and so far LOVE them. They were highly recommended by the sales person at the shop, and when there was 8" of snow on the ground they got me everywhere I wanted to go with very little slip. I would recommend them to anyone.

On a side note though, I rode in an f-150 that had BFG all-terrain T/A's on it that had been "siped", and the owner swore up and down about them as well.

Is this truck SRW, or DRW? If its dual, you might try GY rugged trail's. I have seen them last a while, meanwhile offering decent treadwear and traction.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:05:23 -0500, Ford Tech rearranged some electrons to form:

Sorry, do not agree with anyone that thinks Goodyear makes a good truck tire. Ride terrible, wear out quickly. Have had nothing but disappointment with them, won't ever buy one again.

Reply to
David M

We have been running Cooper tires on our truck. These seem to be very good tires. I often carry two big round hay bales on the truck. Sometimes pull a

20' gooseneck cattle trailer. The tires do fairly well in the mud and do not make an undue amount of noise on the pavement. These are not the most aggressive all weather tires but do well for us. The road hazzard warranty is good for the Cooper tire. Never had a problem with a claim. Toyo also makes a very good tire. I have run them in the past and had good results.
Reply to
Clay

If you look at the BFGoodrich website, at the specs of the All Terrain KO, the stock tire size in Load Range E has a maximum load capacity of 3415# @80PSI. If memory serves the stock size is LT265/75R16/E.

The LT295/75R16, which fills the wheelwells much better in my opinion, are a load range D but has the same load capacity as the stock size, but at a lower max pressure.

Here's the spec chart:

Here's what they looked like on my old truck:
I'll be getting them for the Excursion eventually.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Generally when this happens it is because air has seeped through belts and the rubber as delaminated from cord and tire is bulging. It is not a pretty site but very rarely is it cause by belt failure. Lower the pressure and riving it would increase heat in tire and hassen the damage it may cause.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You might check out the Bridgestone REVO. Excellent wear and snow traction.

Reply to
Mellowed

Not quite, if it is a radial ply tire... Air has seeped through the inner liner and being under pressure has forced its way between the radial plies and causes the outer casing to bulge out. This usually happens if the tire receives a severe blow (such as a pot hole) or is being run underinflated. The root cause is the failure of the inner liner for whatever reason allowing the air to move to the outer casing...

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy