2005 Escape Warning

Buying a new car is suposed to be a happy experience, but unfortunately it has turned into the worst nightmare I have ever had. I just pray that my wife is not killed in it. She has bought into the myth that SUV's are safer. We took delivery of a new 2005 Ford Escape about 1:30 today, and by

8:30 I was writing letters to my congressman, state senator, Ford Customer Relations, and Bill Ford himself. I resisted buying it, because of all the nightmare stories I had heard about SUV's. I took the chance that somehow they had gotten better, but then there is the Escape. We were in the turn lane on a six lane section of road, and were in the far right turn lane. We turned onto the far right lane of another six lane road after the light had changed to green. We weren't going more than 20-25 mph, the Escape had so much body roll and lean that I was sure it was going to end up on its side. What makes it even worse is that there was a great deal of torque steer, and you could feel the vehicle wanting to go out of control. Thank God the sun was out and the road was dry, and there were no bumps in the road. Had it been wet and had there been a bump we would have went into a unrecoverable skid, and most likely rolled over on the Escape's side. This vehicle has no redeeming qualities. It is about the size and shape of a Model T. Unfortunately a Model T has less body roll, a better ride, and doesn't have to worry about torque steer. I was so shaken by the experience that I would not ride home in it. I intended to take a taxi home rather than get into that death trap again. My wife drove home in it, and got my car and came back to get me. I prayed the entire time she was gone that she wouldn't be hurt or killed. In college I had a 1973 Pinto, and at the time I knew they cought fire and could explode. I never felt as insecure about riding in a car as I did in the Escape. I had a much more secure feeling in the 1973 Pinto. After this unpleasant experience I found something that scared the living daylights out of me. As I walked to the back of the vehicle I could not see if any cars were comming past in the parking lot at work, until I cleared the back of the Escape. I am greatful that we don't have any young children now, because if I couldn't see oncomming traffic, an excited running child could never see or be seen. I wrote my state senator asking for legislation banning SUV's from school parking lots, and forcing them to outter areas of shopping centers and malls just for the safety of little children. I am a died in the wool Ford Fan, but after this experience, I sure am going to take a look at Rice Rockets. I sent an E-Mail to the dealership where we bought this deathmobile asking if we can put down cash for what we got as a trade, and this deathmobile can sit in the back yard until we can save up enough to trade it. I'll go to the bank on monday to get a signiture loan to upt down and get our eleven year old over 100,000 mile old car back. You can't stop people from being stupid, and if my wife is dumb enough to drive that death trap there is no way I can stop her. But I know I will not risk my life, nor will I let her take anybody in it. If she wants to kill herself by driving the Escape so be it, but I will prevent her from hurting or killing anybody else in it.
Reply to
Craig Shaffer
<Snip a bunch of crybaby talk>

So what you are saying is that this is a *very* dangerous vehicle... And you *can't* stop your wife from driving it.

But you are under the impression that a note to a usenet group will convince complete strangers, were as you couldn't convince your own wife, who was driving the vehicle?!

Good luck with that.

Don

Reply to
Donut

If you look up the NTSA accident statistics on the Escape, you'll find they are actually quite good. I'm not sure what your problem or real agenda is.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

If this car is the worst "nightmare" in your life, I'd say you've got a pretty damned good life.

Did you not DRIVE the car before your wife bought it? Did you not do any RESEARCH on the vehicle before it was purchased?? Sounds like you went into it half-assed and your expectations don't match reality.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

His agenda is clear. As you pointed out with NTSA, anyone can go get the facts rather than listen to some moron's drivel... John

Reply to
JohnR66

It's kinda like a train wreck. You know it is going to be ugly, but you just can't stop watching..... or in this case reading.

And funny too when you think the idiot that wrote it believes somebody is actually going to believe it.

Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

Reply to
Matt Mead

Sounds like your wife has no driving skills, and you are some kind of a wuss.

Grow up and troll somewhere else.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

His wife married a big baby and he's also too stupid to test drive before buying. I suggest he check his wife's purse for his testicles. No, she deserves them. Just take your name off the checking account.

Reply to
Al Bundy

O/T content snipped...

The Escape is not a truck. Try alt.vehicles.pretendtrucksforlamers

Oh yeah - You're a pussy. Buy a minivan.

Reply to
gw

Reply to
Rick

This guy sounds like he donated his brain to science before he was done using it....If he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week...

This is an obvious troll - No one could be that much of a pu$$y.....

IYM

Reply to
IYM

Reply to
GeoffP

I have to agree with this guy who took a stand on a subject that really needs work which is auto safely. There is some real junk on the road that people have paid big dollars for that are just another form of coffin. You can call this guy anything you want but I call him very smart and as far as the wife goes you try and make your wife drive something safe that she does like the looks of and she will probably be filling divorce papers.

IYM wrote:

Reply to
user

The guy sounds like an idiot, as do you.

I particularly liked the complaint that he couldn't see over the vehicle when walking beside it, and now wants them banned from school lots. Well, you need to ban station wagons and minivans also. Some children cannot see over even smaller cars, so those should be banned also. Thats it, everyone should have to walk!

Idiots.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

If you don't like something, then don't buy it.

If you don't like what you're watching, change the channel.

If you don't like the content, don't buy the magazine.

...but don't ever think you have the right to decide what is best for everyone else, when the only right you really have is to decide what is best for yourself.

I seriously doubt the OP was forced at gunpoint to buy this vehicle, it was his choice.

Now go away troll.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You definitely cannot see over/around my SuperDuty so for this guy to whine about a friggin' Escape is laughable. Sounds like buyer's remorse - a result of somebody not doing their homework...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Stop supporting your own posts, troll.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

This is why you should take the vehicle for a test drive, preferrably over-night, before you buy it. Most dealerships in this area will let you test drive the car for a 24 hour period before you decide whether you want to purchase it or not.

If you're used to driving small sports cars and expect this SUV to handle with the same characteristics, you'd better think again. Do your research before you buy any vehicle, this is the reason websites like Epinion.com and people post questions on usenet before they purchase a new vehicle for the first time.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

As posted by numerous people in 2 different groups, it does look like this dude IS a troll. If not, you'd think he'd have a point-counterpoint with at least one response to his original post. SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom