2005 F-150: 70-Watt Constant Load?

I'm toying with the idea of a small PC in my F-150, hooked up to an inverter running off of the vehicle's battery.

Ignition switch turns on, inverter gets power, PC starts pulling 70 watts - maybe a few more for boot up.

Would I be tempting fate alternator/electronics-wise?

Or should the system be able to handle that?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

HI PETE ! bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

running the PC/inverter at low speeds burns the alternator. Burned the OEM using a 1705E Dell as GPS on forest roads.

The setup in my E250 is a 200AMP alternator to Optima batts atop the rear L SD axle to a Whistler inverter..also in back so we doahn hear it....

The new PC...big screen changes over years...sits on the doghouse atop a p ly sheet running from doghouse to cargo partition. The PC is bordered with small 90 degree cabinet braces. This is extremely important. The ply is rem ovable mounting via a small Al angle iron holed for 2 small #8 bolt studs b olted to the metal partition.

Atop the Odyssey custom E250 batt...abt 30 more cranking amps than OEM and a robust unit for desert touring...sits 40-60 amp fuse blocks running 8 GA lines back to the 400 watt Kenwood, Omega alarm system + rear view TV + coo n burner aux lights, and the inverter/Optima back where the Kenwood cannah hear it whistle.

ASK:

for all the parts including 8 GA Butt Splices ( and torch) You would call f or a special odor on the O Batt.

Recommend for cold weather, the Odyssey to Optima/inverter, for storage run ning off the 200AMP alternator.

The F150 doan have a back inside so...? I haven't heard the Whistler scream thru the Kenwood. An early Jap style Radio Shuck unit began the move rearw ard.

The 200AMP alternator charges at idle what the stock unit charges at 60 mph .

Reply to
avagadro7

M using a 1705E Dell as GPS on forest roads.

LSD axle to a Whistler inverter..also in back so we doahn hear it....

ply sheet running from doghouse to cargo partition. The PC is bordered wit h small 90 degree cabinet braces. This is extremely important. The ply is r emovable mounting via a small Al angle iron holed for 2 small #8 bolt studs bolted to the metal partition.

d a robust unit for desert touring...sits 40-60 amp fuse blocks running 8 G A lines back to the 400 watt Kenwood, Omega alarm system + rear view TV + c oon burner aux lights, and the inverter/Optima back where the Kenwood canna h hear it whistle.

for a special odor on the O Batt.

unning off the 200AMP alternator.

am thru the Kenwood. An early Jap style Radio Shuck unit began the move rea rward.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oh yeah. also one of these for the O batt and the Optima.

The OEM batt is near done right ? so get a new O bat/200 AMP alt/Whistler w ith fuses and 8GA but doahn turn on the radio or lights. Until you splice i n an inline use gauge so you can quantify the draw. This is why the Optima is used...aux systems run off an aux battery so no compromising the engine system.

ceptin the burnout where we had max help from USDA and NAPA for a spare. Th anks !

Common move is plug in the laptop....and have the stalled 150 gutted on the Surekill

Reply to
avagadro7

[...]

YEAH, when I finished today's project, I remembered the OEM alternator produces, at highway speeds, 75 watts for vehicle systems inclu A/C, 20 watts for lights, and leftover for standard radios/stereo equipment ? I would guess not more than 20 watts there.

Stop n go winter driving at night using the radio isnot producing a surplus for top batt charging.

With the 115Amp unit, Ford wouldn't mount a 130AMP alternator on my spec order van, using the Kenwood with lights discharged the batt in 2 hours to a yellow light level.

The 200Amp produces bright lights and Kenwood Sat radio no problem. Aux lights are also use able but not the full Mother Ship effect.

Reply to
avagadro7

70 watts is less than 6 amps in a 12 volt system. Your vehicle's computers, injectors, electric fuel pump, etc... Just the stuff that will make the engine run, are probably drawing significantly more than that. Not to mention lights, etc. 70 watts is pretty irrelevant. Your trucks power point is most likely connected to a 20 amp fuse.

If the PC you intend to run is a laptop or notebook, then look into a direct DC power cable. There isn't any point in inverting DC to AC, to run to a power supply that converts the AC back to DC. There are a number of universal or brand/model specific adapters online.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

Per David Chamberlain:

Point taken, had not considered that.

It's not a laptop or notebook - but I will be building it and will look for a power supply that takes 12v.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

laptops carry an internal ID circuit searching thru the DC input for a link up to an ID generator in the AC/DC proprietary power inverter.

Last I searched, 6 years ago, that universal system then required a DC/AC i nverter in the battery line for powering the proprietary ID AC/DC unit from the laptop brand.

My unfounded opinion is a second battery powered off the auto/alternator ba ttery feeding the 2 inverters is a safer more component reliable system tha n a direct connection to the rise and fall of the alternator system as the vehicle moves the traffic. And separate from mobility.

The system I outlined FYI is used for information access relevant to field research in biology. No problems with the system.

Radio Shuck inverters had a finite lifepan.... 2 years/ 2000 hrs ? or until plugged into the AC line. PHHHHOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM !

Yes, 7 amps seems a drop but if the alternator is not producing power from low rpm, the wx is cold, and the lights are on with a dull old batt....

Reply to
avagadro7

nkup to an ID generator in the AC/DC proprietary power inverter.

inverter in the battery line for powering the proprietary ID AC/DC unit fr om the laptop brand.

battery feeding the 2 inverters is a safer more component reliable system t han a direct connection to the rise and fall of the alternator system as th e vehicle moves the traffic. And separate from mobility.

d research in biology. No problems with the system.

il plugged into the AC line. PHHHHOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM !

m low rpm, the wx is cold, and the lights are on with a dull old batt....

wwwwwwwwwvvvvvvvvvvvvaaaaaaaaa

the Whistler 400 here uses .5 volt over 7 hours in a no load condition.

Reply to
avagadro7

Congoleum Breckenridge

a second batt, a deep charge or your used batt replaced with an Odyssey charges with a CTEK when the second batt goes below 11.8 or ?

The Ctek then supplies power thru the second batt, an aux batt, with a computerized voltage regulator programmed for long batt life not mass charge as with the auto VR/batt setup.

Reply to
avagadro7

Per Congoleum Breckenridge:

Holy Schimoley!.... I had no idea that an 80w power supply could be made that small. I guess in the 120v supplies, there's a lot of stuff dedicated to stepping down the 120 AC to DC.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

avagadro7

Hi Pete, a 70 watt pc off the inverter is comparable to a 70 watt bulb and is no big deal, hard wire it to the battery and install 25amp slo-blo fuse on positive cable within 6" of the battery post, turn on the A/C which rais es idle speed when using the inverter and you'll be just fine..

Reply to
Jorje Pablo