2005 F150 Grinding Noise

The rear pinion seal is leaking on my truck. Would this necessarily mean that the gear was bad as well? After I drive for maybe 30 miles I hear a grinding noise somewhere in the rear, mainly when turning a corner. Thanks in advance. Barry

Reply to
Barry

I should add that the grinding noise is accompanied by a shudder that quits after I get up to speed.

Reply to
Barry

Based on what you are describing, it is likely that the leaky seal has allow the lube to get too low before you caught it. The shudder and grinding noise are consistent with a bad pinion bearing which may have been a result of the low lube level. The gears may have also been damaged. The only way I know to know is teardown and inspection of the parts by a good gear man. Leaky pinion seals on Ford rears are common. Things like that are why there are scheduled maintenance intervals to give a technician at least an opportunity to lay an eyeball on it for potential problems - not that anyone I know would be guilty of only doing maintenance when it has to be towed! From what you say, I am afraid you may be in for a rather expensive repair.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut