2008 Diesel Quality

I have 346,000 on my 1999 F-350.

It is still giving excellent service, but I am beginning to think about trading.

What is the track record for the 2008 Heavy Duty Series?

CSSJR

Reply to
Claude S. Sutton, Jr

"Claude S. Sutton, Jr" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain...

I like your quote, but it's obvious the writer didn't live next door to a couple of the nuts I have lived by.

Reply to
Scott

I assume you are talking about the 6.4 liter diesel? I think it is really a little too soon to say. The only thing I know for sure is the mileage on the three I have any knowledge of, really sucks, 7-10 mpg on the F-450 pickups fast or slow, loaded or empty towing or not. :-(

"Claude S. Sutton, Jr" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

People's expectations always amaze me. You got a 16,000 lb GVW truck whose rated, payload is 6,100 lbs, tow capacity of 24,500 lbs and a curb weight of

8687 lbs running 4.88 gears in the rear axle and your complaining about the fuel mileage? Unbelievable.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

No what is truly Unbelievable is you Whitelightning are such an IDIOT! You are so intent on getting your petty little One-Upmanship in that you don't care how little you actually know about the topic or how stupid that makes you look...

I was simply comparing the large (damn near 50% drop in fuel mileage ford suffered when the stepped from the 6.0 to the 6.4) My comments have nothing to do with expectations.

My daily driver is a 2005 F-450 10,000 pound crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0 turbo diesel. It consistently get 12~14, and I have seen 16 mpg on one 300 mile highway trip. My close friend who has the new 2008 hates the crappy mileage he gets. When we travel together it becomes very evident, his range is under 300 miles (40 gallon capacity @ 7 miles per gallon) per fill, while mine is over 700 (59 gallon capacity @ 12+ miles per gallon).

BTW: My truck is a 2005 F-450 Chassis Cab, and those weights you looked up for the 2008 F-450 "pickup" are substantially lower than mine. :-)))

Well thanks for reminding us all that small minds are amazed easily....

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

The 6.4 gained 30 cubic inches in displacement, thats a considerable amount, it gained 25 horespower going from 325 to 350 hp, and gained near a 100 lbft of torque. All of that has to come at a cost. The weights came from fords web site. I see that your 2005 has a higher payload then the 2008, by

2,000 lbs. since the GVW are the same for both years reasoning says your 2005 is lighter than the 2008.You said cab/chassis, but not what bed Hell the 6.4 alone weighs 170 lbs more than your 6.0 even though it has an aluminum block The 2005 6.0 has a single turbo, the 2008 a dual turbo set up. If we cram more air in the cylinders, we got to feed more fuel as well, or things get a bit hot and pistons melt . All around given the trucks capablities I dont see any thing wrong with the mileage. I havent driven a new 450, I have driven a 250. The 250 got just over 15mpg empty, dropped to 11.5mpg loaded with 4.10 gears running a steady 70mph. And the power was noticably higher than the 6.0's I have driven. I wonder if the low sulfer diesel compliance design might play a role as well. Still good numbers for the 250's capablities. I expect to see the 250's mileage increase a bit once the engine gets some mileage on it

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

With 400 miles on my new 6.4L F350 CC 4x4 drw w/4.1 ratio. I drove to Montana (1350 miles) to pick up a truck camper and got 14 mpg solo. With the camper mounted (4800 lbs wet) we got 12 mpg on the return trip. Speeds were 65 mph max.

I don't know if the mileage is good or bad. It is what it is. I hope it will improve with more miles.

Reply to
Mellowed

I would not consider that poor mileage for a brand new diesel.

I have not checked mine in years, but the last time I checked it I was getting 17 empty and 12 pulling a 4 horse trailer loaded at about 70% capacity at interstate speeds on moderate hills.

I-81 from Roanoke to the PA turnpike.

Anyway, I think it is like the old saw about yachts. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

The mileage goes with the best, so that is that.

CSSJR

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

Reply to
Claude S. Sutton, Jr