2008 F150 paint flaking

OK, posted this in the alt.autos.ford and got a lot of flack for a few things such as: having poor gas nozzle aim truck being a repaint (picture makes the bare metal appear blueish, but the flaked area is indeed bare metal, not blue paint) not properly closing the fuel door

I assure you, I aim the nozzle correctly, and hang the cap in its proper location on the fuel door hook, and the gas door is always closed.

This is a work truck, and came from the factory painted school bus yellow

All the 2005-2008's at work are doing this very same thing (I say 2005 as the 2004's we had were heritage, not the new style). The 2004's and down did not do this at all.

Anyone have any ideas on whats causing it, how I can fix it?

Picasso

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:57:52 -0700, Picasso rearranged some electrons to say:

Fix it? What fix were you hoping for? About the only thing you can do is have it repainted. Have you tried taking it to the dealer for a warranty claim?

Reply to
david

I see no primer under that paint. And, despite your comment, think that looks a lot like blue paint: if it were just bare steel, it would have rusted almost immediately.

Agreed with David: this is a warranty issue, absolutely.

Reply to
PeterD

It sure looks like it's a repaint to specs for your company over the original paint. If not, then the top coat is separating from the primer, or there would be rust.

Dupli-Color makes 1/2 fluid oz touch-up paint with applicator brush just for such chips/peeling. Parts stores sell them for $5 or $6. The dealers sell them for $10 to $12.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

After visiting two dealers, the second will fix it.

I have 52k on it, the warranty is good to 60.

The new job they will repaint and put a polyurethane calking on before putting the black part of the fill neck back in.

The guy tried telling me it was uncommon to vehicles which did not see the offroad very frequently. Funny thing was I parked bumper to bumper with a Provincial Highway truck (department of transportation) who use the same Schoolbus yellow and his was flaking, and we walked by one of several used F150's experiencing the same problem.

Good to know Ford will fix it. Its things like this that will give back or take away consumer trust in them. In economic times such as this, this is a good thing.

Reply to
Picasso

Could be something that only applies to the yellow paint. I work on some equipment that comes in three basic colors and the gray and light green colors are very hard and resistant to damage. The yellow ones have paint that is softer and seems like they should have used a catalytic hardener in the paint. These are painted using a safety yellow color for high visibility.

Reply to
Mark Jones

do you work on forestry or industrial equipment?

Reply to
Picasso

Surveying instruments.

Reply to