250 4x4 hub/bearing question

I've got a 2000 F250 4x4 SD. The truck has 88K miles on it, and there is a popping sound/feel coming from the front end when I turn hard on the front wheels, so I'm going to replace the hubs and the bearing assemblies. But I can't get the left 4x4 hub assembly to slide out. I've removed the retaining ring, but the hub won't budge. My manual says it should just slide off without having to use a puller. Anybody know any tricks or have suggestions? TIA

Reply to
Robert C. Denny

I don't know how to get the assembly apart, but don't get too carried away replacing parts. Your symptoms are classic for a hung hub due to a malfunction of the vacuum hub engagement system. This is real common on Super Dutys and I think you only need to replace the hub seals.

(I've had this same problem several times and it is just a matter of moving the dash switch back and forth from 2H to 4H over the course of several days before the hub finally releases. One day I will get it fixed.....)

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

There are two rings that would keep the hub from sliding out. One is about 1 1/4" in diameter and is clearly visible across the center of the hub. This can be removed with snap ring pliers. The second is about 4" in diameter and sits in a recessed grove inside the wheel. This is the size of a wire coat hanger (no holes for snap pliers). You'll have to dig it out. I use a small awl. Its hard to see, usually buried in grease. Check out Matts response too.

Reply to
Paul Fidler