351w oil cooler install

Ok guys, I just installed a newly rebuilt 351w in my 83 f150. I also made ourchase of a ford oil cooler kit complete. The problem I have is the stud that you screw the oilfilter on to on the block has to come out and a adapter stud must be installed to accept a hollow thread bolt for the oil filter relocation. Looking on the older blocks I see that the threaded stud had a hex head so it could be removed. On the newer block this stud looks like it is pressed in place or is it just screwed in but with no visible means of removal.. I tried putting a pair of channel locks on the rounded base and also took a chisel and tapped at it to see if I could get it to unscrew but I was afraid I would destroy the threads on the stud so I quit and am here for suggestions. Thanks

Reply to
Danny

Good new pair of sharp vice grips. You'll destroy the threads, but then again, you're replacing it, right?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Find two nuts that fit the thread of the filter adapter. Run them on the threads and jam them together. Use a wrench and turn the one closest to the black to remove.

Reply to
Sans Nom

Reply to
Danny

It's not unusual to find that the 'stud' was replaced with a simple pipe nipple from the local plumbing shop. Like Steve said, just have it.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Conolly