390 gt or cammed 460

well folks...im in a slight bit of a bind.....i have a good 390 already and a line on a factory set of GT heads...with a cam carb and intake to match...i also have a line on a 460 thats runnin around 375 hp or so....i know what a good 390 can do...torque out the ying yang...and i know what the

460 i am lookin at is capable of...my dilemma is...they are both (parts to build the 390 or comp 460) very much worth the money...any advice?
Reply to
Jay Anderson

i have use both the 390-428 and the 429-460 to drag race did good with both engines my choice would 460 more parts available --used a429 in my f150 tow truck and daily driver--got 14mpg had a 390 in it before the 429 only got

Reply to
Dennis

Reply to
BattleGodz

That's a fact JACK. Or as we used to say, "There is NO substitute for cubic inches". The ricers could learn from this.

Steve Barker

The 460 will outperform the FE. Better head design, very stout bottom end. And they are relatively inexpensive to aquire.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

go with it the only thing i will sorely miss from the 390 GT is absolutely wicked lower rpm torque...although i can remember the exact numbers i have heard it is in the neighborhood of 430 pounds/ft at not much over about

3000 rpm's....i may be wrong but that does sound somewhat familiar >
Reply to
Jay Anderson

||> The 460 will outperform the FE. Better head design, very stout bottom end. ||> And they are relatively inexpensive to aquire. ||>

||> Al || || ||> a 460 can be done up real nice...as is the one im considering....if i do ||go with it the only thing i will sorely miss from the 390 GT is absolutely ||wicked lower rpm torque...although i can remember the exact numbers i have ||heard it is in the neighborhood of 430 pounds/ft at not much over about ||3000 rpm's....i may be wrong but that does sound somewhat familiar

If it were me, I'd buy both and install the 460. If you like it, fine, sell the

390. Lots of demand for 390 in the restoration areas. Texas Parts Guy
Reply to
Rex B

Jay,

We run a stock 429 short block with a Schneider cam and D0VE heads in a 67 fastback. With 4.30 gears it has gone 11.83 here in Tucson. Make that 3,000 feet, hot and hot. This engine has stock rods, (no football bolts) pistons and crank. No oiling enhancements. Shift it at 5,500 RPM. Has a Stealth intake and one 780 CFM carb. My 70 Maverick with a D0VE headed 460 ran about the same, 11.69. Don't ever think a 390 can out grunt a 460. There is a lot of inches there to help.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

i do agree with the no replacement for displacement theory...but having owned a 66 Fairlane( 390 GT) and a 68 Torino GT i know rather well how said motor runs...i have ridden in vehcles runnin done up 460's but i still say a

390 GT has better low end grunt....top end ...460 takes it but i want the low rpm tire shredding thing...
Reply to
Jay Anderson

Jay Anderson wrote: well folks...im in a slight bit of a bind.....i have a good 390 already and a line on a factory set of GT heads...with a cam carb and intake to match...i also have a line on a 460 thats runnin around 375 hp or so....i know what a good 390 can do...torque out the ying yang...and i know what the 460 i am lookin at is capable of...my dilemma is...they are both (parts to build the 390 or comp 460) very much worth the money...any advice?

+++++++++++$$$$$$$$$$$$+++++++++ X-No-Archive:yes Here's some advice; I had a buddy once who put a used 390 from an old T-bird into his F250 after his truck 390 gave up the ghost.He ended up having to use premium gas and still had to retard the timing substantially due to the engines 10.5-1 compression ratio.The result was lousy gas mileage and low"power". I never saw the guy again-think he may have leaped off a cliff.
Reply to
Brian Orion