4.2 V6 (pushrod) v. 4.6 V8 (OHC?)

Looking into getting a !basic! new F150, sort of a "super Ranger", and am trying to decide whether the 4.6 V8 (OHC?) v. [4.2 V6 (pushrod)] is worth the cost: ~$650. Plan to get the manual 5. And no, I don't foresee pulling and carrying vast weights.

Am also having trouble trying to figure out if the mileage is significantly (or any) better?

---John

Reply to
jchludzinski

Is the 4.6 even available with a 5 speed in the truck?

The 4.2 is the same design of the 3.8litre motor in Mustangs and Tbirds/Cougars. some of these Mustang guys are bolting 4.2 cranks into their block, slapping on a turbo or votech blower and pushing out over 600 rwhp.

I'd test drive both versions and base the decision on that. I'm not sure economy is much different between the two.

Reply to
Mike H

I'm pretty sure the resale value of the v-8 vs. the v-6 is gonna be significantly more. It may be one of those rare options that pays for itself.

Also, I loathe the 3.8 and its head gasket problems, and I've seen 4.2's with their supposedly "improved" design exhibit the same problem.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Only in the lowest trim model the stripped down XL.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Wow, that's a change. They didn't offer that last year, did they? I've been very curious why Ford has started limiting their options so much. In addition to eliminating the manual transmissions, they don't offer their F150 crew below the XLT trim level. I'm sure they've got their reasons. I'm also sure their market share has dropped from 25% to less than 17%. No end in sight.

Reply to
Joe

The automatic only issues are rooted in the emissions control area. California emission standards have pushed the Ford and Chevy (maybe Dodge too) one-ton pickup trucks to ONLY be available with automatic transmissions, in California. You have not been able to get one with manual transmission for some years now. As more and more states adopt California emissions standards, the manual transmissions will dwindle to extinction.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I dunno, pushing 12psi of boost through my 3.8 with simply MLS head gaskets and ARP head studs. Hasn't blown yet after daily driving and a good 60 runs down the strip.

I find the biggest issue with the head gaskets is the composite ones and lack of maintenance of the cooling system. Cooling passages on the rear of the block and heads leave a thin thing of metal before the combustion chambers. The 3.8 heads don't have enough head bolts to prevent lift. Thus the gasket has to be able to maintain itself as the head moves around during WOT. The rear cooling passage starts to impinge into the fire ring on the stock gasket. That works o.k. until you add in a cooling system that isn't maintained. The fire ring starts to corrode and eventually the gasket fails. Any composite head gasket on any ford 3.8 motor (The Essex V6) will eventually fail no matter how careful you are due to this issue.

Ford started using the MLS head gaskets in the Mustang and F150 motors. this is a multi-layer steel gasket that is stamped steel and riveted together. Felpro and Federal Mogul eventually came up with the latest Perma-torque MLS gasket. This is a MLS gasket with a rubberized (not rubber, some composite) coating. The coating allows for a less than pristine head and block surface as well as gains some better sealing to prevent cold water leaks. It also can stand up to the head moving around.

I just fired up my new motor that I rebuilt with a 9:1 compression ratio that will be using a twin screw blower built for reliable operation over 6000 RPM and 22psi of boost.

Reply to
Mike H