460 Smokes Bad on new engine

I have a 74 ford with a 460 which runs really well. This vehicle is an offroad truck that I take out only once or twice a year. I started it the other day and it smokes bad. The smoke is white and almost smells like it is running rich. I changed the oil, there was no sign of water. I checked the antifreeze and it is full. I removed the vacuum modulator hose from the transmission to eliminate that fluid was not being sucked into the intake. I pulled the valve cover and it looks good. I pulled the plugs and they are soaked in oil, but only on the drivers side. Would this problem be a valve cup seal problem? I just dont think that the rings are toasted. I will try a compression test tonight. Any help would be great!

Many thanks in advance.

-Noah G

Reply to
Noah G

If it is white it is not rich (it would be black) and you will always smell a little gas even when it is correct. If it is oil smoke, it will have a distintive odor that smell like oil. Check valve guide seals and look for oil residue in vacum modulator line (if this line is cause there will be some oil built p in intake that will take a while to clear out completely.

SnoMan

Thanks so much for the reply! I will check the vacuum line tonite. Are the valve cup seals at the base of the spring?

Reply to
Noah G

They can be seen through springs at the top of valve guide around valve stem. They can be replaced without pulling heads too and are not a big deal to change if bad.

SnoMan