6.0 Fuel Economy

I recently bought a new F-250 4X4 crew cab with an 8 foot bed. It has the

6.0 PSD, 5 speed auto trandmission and 3.73 limited slip rear end. Every thing is stock. I live in Southern California and drive 1,000 miles a week to and from work. Empty, I currently get 16 mpg. I set the cruise control at 2,000 RPM which keeps the speed right at 70 mph. The boost seldom goes over 10 lbs. and usually runs just above zero. The dealer advised that the mpg would increase slightly after a break in period. I now have 2500 miles on the truck. My questions are: 1) what is a "normal" break in period for a new diesel? and 2) has anyone here tried any of the aftermarket items to increase mpg? I have read articles on air intakes systems/filters, bigger exhaust systems, performance chips etc. and was wondering which is the best way to go? I'm not too concerned with greater horsepower/torque, but mainly economy. I would like to get 20-22 mpg if at all possible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help, Pat.
Reply to
Danny

Ray or Bobbi Adams

The mileage may increase a tiny bit as the engine loosens up. I'd expect no more than another 1/2 mpg. If you want 20+ you'd better go look at the Saturns. Back in the day, my old 6.9 didn't stop using a little oil between changes until it had about 45,000 on it.

If you want better mileage, turn the cruise off and drive it yourself about

55 mph. It'll maybe get 18 if you do that. The secret to good mileage is to use the downhills to your advantage and keep a steady throttle, not a steady speed, on the uphills. I towed a 5000# JD tractor about 600 miles with my v-6 explorer. It was getting 8.4 at 63 mph with the cruise. After a while I started doing the throttle myself, 73+ downhill and steady throttle to keep it in OD uphill and got 10.8 the rest of the way home.
Reply to
Steve Barker LT

OT but my 04 Dodge CTD also has 3.73 gears and is a 4X4. Gets around 19 if I drive it 55. At 80 it gets closer to 13. I can get almost 20 in town it I drive it easy and keep the RPM between 1,200 and 1,800. If you hot rod it, bye bye fuel.

My neighbor has an 02 CTD, 4x4 with 3.55 gears. He gets 22 at 55 MPH. He's running bio now with no problems.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Danny,

Normal breakin for any vehicle is about 20,000-30,000 mi. If you want better gas mileage unloaded, then you can try a tuner, but I would turn it down when you load it. Also a tuner will void your warranty (dealers can tell if you have had a tuner on it). The other thing is to keep the tach around 1800 for best performance. At that point you are getting the most torque/speed ratio, anything over that and you are wasting power for speed.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Reply to
Lint Radley

I have an '05 F-350 crew cab (single rear tires). A few things I've learned after 24,000 miles:

  1. With the latest software revision, it gets terrible mileage until the engine warms up. Noticeable reduction in power as well... until it warms up.
  2. "Around town" I get about 15.5 to 16.5 mpg. Highway at 65-70 yields about 18-19 mpg.
  3. The winter fuel blend yields about 1 mpg less mileage than the summer blend. (Don't know if they change it in So. California, but here in the NE, it changes in Oct to winter and in April or May back to summer).
  4. I've recently noticed that the new, Ultra Low Sulfur fuel (15 ppm) yields slightly less mileage than the former Low Sulfur fuel (500 ppm).
  5. Good news is that it still got 10-11 mpg towing a 15,000 lb fifth wheel camper at 65 mph.

RCE

Reply to
RCE