6.0 PS real-world fuel economy

Hi all,

Interested in anyone's experience in the 6.0 diesel economy. Looking to get a new truck and would like user's info. Couldn't find what I needed with Google.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Macchiarolo

Hey Matt,

2005 F-450 Crew Cab 4x4 loaded Lariat duel rear wheel, the absolute heaviest you can order an F-450 at, with a Pro-tech Aluminum Flat Bed. This truck weighs in a just over 9500 pounds with 50+ gallons of diesel and no load, just me in it. That is in the neighborhood of a ton and a half heavier than a 2005 F-350. It has 4.30/1 (The tallest available in the F-450) final gears and a 6 speed manual transmission. This truck now has 20,000 miles on it and most of that has been towing.

Without checking my logbook, I will share the following.

Best non-towing empty highway mileage is 15.2 MPG on a 350 mile round trip, generally get 14.2 MPG mixed highway at 65-70 MPH and local stop & go driving.

Towing between 5,000-10,000 pounds depending on the trailer, mileage is as low as 10.3 MPG at 75 MPH+ and as good as 13.5+ MPG at under 60 MPH.

Vastly better than the old gas 460 powered F-250 it replaced. Most guys I talk to with the new 2005/2006 F-250/F-350's 6.0 diesels are claiming 17-19 empty on the highway. I ask damn near everyone I see.

The pulling power is outstanding! ZERO problems and absolutely No disappointments.

Good luck with your new Powerstroke.

Reply to
351CJ

Thanks, actually looking at an Explurgin'. :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Me too. Since shutting down my biz back in October of '03, I've got almost no use for a truck, but I need towing and family (and assorted crappola) hauling capability... The 'scursion seems to foot that bill very nicely...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I've got a F250 6.L 2003. I'm getting 14mpg mixed stop and go, some freeway. I'm getting 20 mpg on just freeway. These are non-tow miles

Shabtai

Matthew Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Shabtai Evan

Don't you mean an Excretion?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Reply to
Matthew Macchiarolo

I've owned a diesel vehicle in the past and will most likely again in the future. Here is my take the whole diesel v. gas compairson:

Don't buy a diesel for the fuel savings only...If you don't *need* the massive torque you probably shouldn't buy one. The Ford V10 is an outstanding engine that will pull anything that needs pulling plus will get fairly decent fuel mileage (14-15 not towing on the highway). Diesel fuel is quite expensive, plus if you live in a northern climate fuel geling is always a factor. It's no damn fun when it's -30 degrees f and you have two children in the truck and your engine stops...I've had that happen when using both winter mix fuel and an additive. The new diesels are pretty good starters in cold weather but cannot compare to the gas engines when it comes to cold weather use.

If you aren't going to be regularly pulling a 32 foot travel trailer, you probably don't need a diesel Excursion.

Reply to
Advocate

I really have never liked the idea of the old (dirty, stinky, noisy) diesels in automotive/light truck applications. Diesels sure have come a long way from their dirty, noisy, smokey beginnings. These new diesels aren't your Daddies diesels.

I am so happy with my 05 6.0 liter turbo diesel, this is my first diesel. I am so glad I took the plunge and did not order my new truck with a gas V-10 at 2/3 the torque and half the fuel mileage.

If ford offered a turbo diesel car I would buy it.

Have you seen Fords new little V6 brother to the 6.0 liter turbo diesel? If they started putting this engine in there 1/2 trucks I would buy one.

- 4.5L Power Stroke V6 Turbo Diesel engine with 200 hp at 2650 rpm and 440 lb.-ft. of torque at 1850 rpm - Have a look here:

Diesel engines are renowned for their durability, lasting hundreds of thousands of miles twice as long as gasoline engines.

Reply to
351CJ

Maybe in a short bed, 2wd truck and a stiff tailwind... I did once get 12 MPG on a 7 hour trek back from Arizona when I consciously kept the RPMs at 2k and below for the entire but it typically hovers around

10-11 on the freeway. (Then again mine's a 4wd, long bed, crew cab 4x4. with a 6" lift and 35" tires...heheh)
Reply to
invalid unparseable

I own a Ford 2004 F350 with the 6.0 diesel. I pull a 32' trailer. I love the power and the transmission in haul mode is awesome. I have 45,000 Mi and still have half the brake pads left. I get about 17-18 MPG highway not towing and about 12-13 towing. I usually stay about 60-65 MPH. I have had no problems at all with this truck.

Reply to
Todd

I have almost 70K on my 02 F250 Crewcab v10. I regularly tow a flatbed trailer with a Jeep on it, probably 7000#. I'm lucky if I get 8mpg towing,

12 unloaded.

Looking at an Excursion because with three kids and two dogs there isn't enough room in the crew cab.

Reply to
Matthew Macchiarolo
2006 F250 crewcab, 4WD short bed

5200 miles 15.2mpg

1st diesel and it's great.
Reply to
Ron and Diane

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Er, no...we were discussing the Ford Excursion, remember?

Reply to
Advocate

Exactly why I'm looking at one. ('cept for the dogs) Drove from here in SD to Yosemite after Christmas in the F350. Not as comfortable as it could have been...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes, I'm aware of that. I doubt an Excursion with a V10 would get

14-15mpg on the highway. My sister's 2wd diesel Excursion doesn't get anywhere close to that.
Reply to
invalid unparseable

Picked it up today. '05 Excursion Eddie Bauer, quad captain's chairs, 6.0L PS. Very cool. They even took back the wife's lease on the Freestar a couple months early.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Congratulations!

Isn't that Powerstroke 6.0 liter turbo diesel a kick in the pants?

Reply to
351CJ

What's hard to get used to is when I gas the v10, it revs higher to get up to freeway speeds, so it's screaming and you expect it to be when accelerating like that.

The PS barely gets above 2000rpm and before I know it I'm doing 80.

:-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

FYI:

Drivers of SUVs Saving Big Money with Diesel Engines by: ARA Content

(ARA) - Half of all American vacationers on the road this year are driving gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks, according to a new survey on driving habits from research firm MarketFacts. These bigger vehicles burn high amounts of fuel, which not only puts a dent in drivers' wallets, but also increases the country's dependence on foreign oil. Ironically, the MarketFacts study shows that fuel economy is an important issue for SUV and pickup drivers.

According to automotive experts, standard gasoline engines can't efficiently handle the weight of the larger -- and very popular -- SUVs and pickup trucks. There is an alternative, however, for drivers of big vehicles to consider: diesel engines.

Diesel engines like the Power Stroke Diesel in Ford F-Series Super Duty pickups are specifically made to provide better mileage -- 30 percent in most cases -- and have more pulling power than gas engines, which is why they are especially popular among those hauling camping gear or towing boats, RVs and horse trailers.

"People love big trucks for a lot of great reasons, but running a gas engine in them is like trying to heat a hotel with a small home furnace. You're going to burn way too much fuel and you still won't get the power you really need," said Patrick Charbonneau, chief technical officer, Engine Group, International Truck and Engine Corporation. "Diesel engines produce more power than gasoline engines because diesel fuel itself has more energy. And today's diesel engines are electronically controlled to boost performance and fuel efficiency."

However, the study found that despite diesel's known benefits, many Americans are resistant because they still have a negative perception of these engines, recalling the noisy and odorous diesel engines of the '70s. Industry experts dispel these myths saying today's diesel engines are greatly improved -- running quietly and not producing odors or smoke.

Major automakers in the United States have taken an interest in diesel power predominantly because of the success of diesels in Europe. "Over 30 percent of the passenger cars in Europe are now diesel, and the main reason is fuel economy," said Charbonneau. "The Big Three know fuel economy is keenly important here in North America."

Currently in the United States, diesel engines are an option over the standard gasoline engines, adding a few thousand dollars to the cost of a new vehicle. Although buying a diesel engine is a higher monetary investment initially, automakers say diesel engines make up this cost difference within just three years from fuel savings alone. Diesel engines also add greater resale value to pickups and SUVs due to their longevity.

Industry insiders believe that in 20 years, 30 percent of the passenger cars, sport utilities and pickups in America will use diesel engines because of fuel efficiency and near zero emissions capabilities. According to the Department of Energy, if diesels reach even a percent of their potential penetration by 2020, the country could conserve as much as 700,000 barrels of fuel per day -- half the energy used daily by the state of California.

For more information, click on the link below.

About The Author

Courtesy of ARA Content,

351CJ