7.3 powerstroke burnes valves at 100k+?

A local Toyota service manager was telling me that the 7.3L Powerstroke tends to burn valves shortly after 100k (after the warranty period, of course). Can anybody verify this?

Thanks,

James

Reply to
James

James,

I have the 7.3L engine approaching 100K, so I'd be interested to see responses to this as well.

My auto mechanical skills stop at the real basics, so could you tell me what a "burnt valve" is and how I would know if my truck had it? Thanks.

Charlie

Charles Kerekes

I have 107,000 on mine with no problems so far.

'99 F350 7.3PSD Dually 4X4 CrewCab

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

If that were a problem it would show up here

Otherwise, it's BS.

Reply to
Mellowed

Thanks, that's the kind of pointer I needed. At first blush I didn't see anything to verify the contention, BS is a likely candidate.

James

Reply to
James

This will only happen effect you chip the engine and boost the EGT which is hard on the valves. If left stock it should not be a problem.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I've got a '95 with 202k... still truckin' with regular maintenance...

Reply to
websurfer

How the f*ck would a rice rocket slant eyed salesman know anything about a REAL truck? And for that matter, WHY were YOU talking to one?

Steve Barker

I am a Diesel Tech, and student at Pittsburg State University majoring in auto tech with an emphasis in diesels and heavy equipment, and I have not even heard about this. Has it actually happened? These engines are designed to go half million miles, and then (with regular maintenance) should only need the injectors replaced, and maybe cylinder liners.

Reply to
pkurtz2

James snipped-for-privacy@iel.spokane.edu> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have a 99 F350, and just turned it over 142000. I bought it because the experience of my family members with them over the past 10-12 years. My brother-in-law, a diesel mechanic, has told me 400k miles is not out of the question. Main thing is regular oil changes, with filter changes with a good quality oil, and do not let them get hot. We use Rotella, and use a mobile 601 filter (made for synthetic oils, smaller particle filtering). He has mentioned nothing of burnt valves. Does recommend getting the head gaskets replaced around 250k -300k as a preventative, as he has seen a few blow head gaskets at around 300k, resulting in overheating. On another note, he said the chrome rings will wear until around 300K, after which you may see some wear on the cylinders, but it will keep running well beyond that.

You did the right thing though, asking the guys who own one.

Reply to
box-bb-bb-bb-car

Charles, A burnt valve acts like a miss. It warps and causes the loss of the seal when the valve is closed. This in turn doesnt allow the cylinder to create pressure, and airgo stops combustion in a diesel engine. If it burns the intake valve, then it can sound like a backfire through the intake.

Reply to
pkurtz2

If you have valve problem in a 7.3 at only 100K miles, it is almost a sure sign of EGT problems from injection issues or a chipped engine.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

pkurtz2,

Thanks for the explanation.