'73 F100 Transmission swap ??

I have a '73 Ford F100 Ranger XLT with the 390FE and C6 Auto. I want to swap the transmission out with a standard shift. (4 or 5 speed). I'm hoping someone has already done this, and can offer some advice. Clutch, flywheel and bell housing are no problem for the 390. They are easy to come by. I need to know what standard 4 or 5 speed transmission will bolt up to the factory bell housing. I know that the New Process granny gear 4 speed will work, as they came as original equipment in these trucks. But I don't really want the granny gear. I was thinking about the Borg Warner T5 that came in the mid to late 80's 5.0 mustangs. But I don't know if it will mate to the bell housing. All the later model stuff comes as a transmission and bell housing unit, and none of them fit the FE engines. So I'm going to have to mix and match. I just don't know what will fit the factory Ford bell housing.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Reply to
CyberSurfer

Ford used a top loader 4 spd overdrive in the late 70's early 80's that should bolt to your bell housing.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Those trucks came with a NP435 HD 4 speed tranny with a granny gear as a option through late 80's so it should bolt in without any real fuss. NP435 are usually not easy to come by or cheap these day becauses it is a sought after tranny because it was well built and sturdy too. 4x4 versions (they have a different tail shaft housing and output shaft) are the hardest to find but 2wd version are a bit easier and cheaper to come by.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

What part of;

"I know that the New Process granny gear 4 speed will work, as they came as original equipment in these trucks. But I don't really want the granny gear."

couldn't you understand Snoflake?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You know, if you did not have this venue to vent your childishness you would be lost. Useing a car type tranny in a truck can work poorly sometimes especailing if converting from a automatic to a manual since automatic have taller rear axles back then generally and car trannies have taller gears resulting in a LOT of clutch action. You would no this to if you realy had a clue about thing and would not spout off the way you do all the time. THe reason I did suggest the NP435 is because the taller rear axle will not result in shorter clutch life nor reduced starting power to get load moving when needed. YOu do not look at the big picture and never will because you have narrow vision and are too focused on trying to trash me to make yourself feel better. Knock yourself out!

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

And if you didn't have this venue, the amount of inaccurate information in the world would be cut in half.

Ever think that the guy building the truck and spending money is in a better position to decide what HE wants?

"no?"

Look bird brain, I've overhauled more NP435s, T-10s, M-20-21-22s and Chrysler 833s than you've ever passed on the highway.

Just because you can't keep from wearing a clutch out doesn't mean everyone else is afflicted with that problem, and who said he was hauling a load to begin with?

You can't even read the instructions. You offered NO useful information to the OP, just regurgitated what he already knew about and decided against. (typical)

Your amateur psychology rates right up there with your amateur mechanical skills.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo