'78 460 cylinder and distributor post number layout needed

Hi Everyone,

A groundhog ate my spark plug wires. It's a 1978 Ford 460 engine. So basically I have no idea what post on the distributor goes to what cylinder on the engine. Does anyone know the cylinder layout on the engine block if I am looking at the engine from the front of the truck and also does anyone know the cylinder layout of

the distributor?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
usshopkins

Google is your friend, first hit on "firing order ford 460"...

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

Easy one for me so I'll try to make it easy for you. The timing has to be set on the #1 cylinder on TDC(top dead center). #1 cylinder is on the left side of the engine went standing in front. First remove the coil wire from the distributor, now remove the spark plug from the #1 cylinder, place your thumb over the spark plug hole and cranking the engine(I usually turn the ignition key for a 1 second at a time) until you feel the compression against your thumb. All you will have to do is rotate the damper(harmonic balancer) clockwise till the timing mark lines up on TDC. Remove the distribor cap and look at the rotor, where the rotor is pointing is where the #1 spark plug goes just start there and go clockwise1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

Reply to
Doc

Try this

SnoMan