81 Bronco transmission poroblem

I bought a full sized 81 bronco with a 302 engine and auto trans a couple months ago. It took me a while to figure out while sometimes it's gutless has hell off the line but often it will not down shift to low for take off. When I pull away from a stop, I some times have to pull the shift lever down to low to get it to roll. I had the transmission fluid changed along with an oil change when I first bought it and other than the lack of down shift and I think it shifts a little quick, the auto trans seems to be working normally.

Anybody have any ideas as to what is causing this? I'm tapped out right now and can't afford to take it to a shop. I used to be a motorcycle mechanic and I can handle any engine work but automatic transmissions are a bit of a mystery to me.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

If it is an automatic overdrive trans, there is a good possibility that the throttle pressure cable grommet or bushing at the carb is missing or broken resulting in low throttle pressure. This results in no kickdown and trans slippage. If this is the case, the trans can fry within a few miles under load if it hasn't already. There is a better replacement available to replace the plastic one. The cable must be properly adjusted after the bushing is replaced. You can try a google search of this group as there was a couple of extensive threads on this problem over the last several months. You may find Ford had a TSB out on them. If it is a 3 speed auto, the game changes.

Reply to
lugnut

It's not an overdrive transmission and from the sound of your description, I'm glad it's not. Also there is no slippage, just irregular downshift from a stop.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

With the c6 3 speed, I would suspect a sticky road speed governor. Unfortunately, it may have a hydraulic problem. You may want to get a free evaluation from a couple of reputable independant trans shops - Aamco and similar are not typically among those.

Reply to
lugnut

Thanx and I'll ask around. I'm familiar with Amco's reputation as a rip off network. Is the road speed governor something I can get to with out tearing the tranny apart?

Tony

description,

Reply to
Anthony

Not easy. You would have to remove the transfer case from the rear.

Reply to
lugnut

OK, depending on your 'guts factor', here's how to free up a stuck governor on C4's, C6's, and A4LD's:

35 mph, shove lever to 'Parl', and hold it there about a half second, then back into 'D' (very quickly past 'Reverse')

it will make a horrendous ratchetting sound, but it will free up a stuck governor weight 99% of the time

if your 'pucker factor' is low, you may not want to attempt it

Reply to
TransSurgeon

I'll think about it but I think my pucker factor is to low. What are the odds of doing this and breaking expensive and hard to replace parts?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

ahhhh......that is the magic question

as long as you keep it fast enough so that the park pawl can't grab a tooth on the park gear, it's OK

I always stay above 30 mph

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Pretty good....