83 460 oil leak?

I've got an oil leak on an 83 E-350 motorhome with the 460 from what appears to be behind the oil filter mounting boss ... tightened the one large bolt that goes thru the middle of the mounting plate and it appears to be stopped for now. Is there a gasket that ought to be replaced between the block and the mounting boss or just keep it snug? Thanks. Greg

Reply to
Greg

"Greg" snipped-for-privacy@spamaway.com wrote in news:wLmdnbp2fdULEh_enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

if I remember correctly it is a O ring so keeping it tight should be the trick, KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

When I got my F-250 (460) with 150,000 miles on it it was leaking everywhere do to all the bolts being loose. The guy that sold it to me actually thought the vehicle was using oil and all it was doing was losing oil. All I did was tighten all the bolts and now I am down to about a quart every 1500 miles and have 175,000 miles on it. Gaskets shrink and bolt get lose. I expect that now that you tightened the bolt it may never leak again.

Greg wrote:

Reply to
user

There's an o-ring behind the adaptor, and a fibre gasket on the bolt itself. Both available at the ford house.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker